Jason Carr: Did you see the hilarious meme about the kids first day of school photos, before AND after? It's trending/viral right now on sites like Reddit. Picture a cute mop-topped kid with curls and a wide-eyed grin of optimism in the before photo at the morning bus stop. Now picture that same kid with hair impossibly bent at odd angles, shirt untucked, shoes untied, looking glum and spent. Like a life of hard-living and rubber cement fumes have done them serious wrong. Do yourself a favor and get a good chuckle to start your day--- look these up. Gold, Jerry! Gold!
Here's what's coming up on Friday, September 6, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- Eyes on the Weekend
Rain chances Friday are pretty weak, but for the third day in a row, models are hinting at a few light, scattered midday showers Friday with only partly sunny skies. Don't worry too much about these showers impacting Friday High School Football games or anything else outdoors after school. Most of your Friday is a dry day with 50s to start and lower 70s or cooler through your afternoon.
We continue with the Fall-like feel all weekend and it looks like the first half is brighter than the finish.
- Get the full forecast here
Kim DeGiulio will also be tracking traffic weekend construction around town.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
All Morning -- Tracking Dorian
Hurricane Dorian continues to cause problems, and the Local 4Casters will be tracking it all morning long. We'll also have the latest video and information from the areas dealing with the impact.
- WATCH: Live coverage of Hurricane Dorian from Miami
- Michigan Humane Society takes in pets from path of Hurricane Dorian
- Michigan Red Cross prepares hurricane relief before storm makes landfall
6:10 -- Fitness Friday: CrossFit
CrossFit is a big fitness craze right now, but what do you know about it? Could it be for you? Our Kim DeGiulio heads to CrossFit in the D for some fun and fitness.
6:40 -- Time-Saver Product Tests
All week-long on Local 4 News Today, we're testing out products aimed at saving you time. For our final test, stopping stains in their tracks. Can a simple spray prevent pesky things from sticking to your clothing? Our Evrod Cassimy tries it out.
- Salad prepping products put to the test -- do they save time?
- Putting the Tile Mate to the test
- The Drill Brush -- does adding power make a cleaning difference?
- Staffords talk role reversal after Kelly's diagnosis, surgery for brain tumor
- Kelly Stafford shares story of brain tumor diagnosis, 12-hour surgery
- Detroit Lions Week 1: Breaking down the roster after preseason
- 8 additional Michigan Kmart stores to close
Today's Trivia Retake
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Thursday Question: What 1986 movie did Michael Keaton portray a foreman at an auto assembly plant?
- Answer: Gung Ho
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: September 6th
- National Coffee Ice Cream Day
- National Read A Book Day
- National Lazy Mom's Day - First Friday in September
- National Food Bank Day
History Highlights: September 6th
- In 1972, the Summer Olympics resumed in Munich, West Germany, a day after the deadly hostage crisis that claimed the lives of eleven Israelis and five Arab abductors.
- In 1995, Baltimore Orioles shortstop Cal Ripken broke Lou Gehrig's record by playing his two-thousand-131st consecutive game.
- In 1997, weeping masses gathered in Calcutta, India, to pay homage to Mother Teresa, who had died the day before at age 87.
- In 2002, meeting outside Washington, D.C. for only the second time since 1800, Congress convened in New York to pay homage to the victims and heroes of September 11.
- In 2006, President George W. Bush acknowledged for the first time that the CIA was running secret prisons overseas and said tough interrogation had forced terrorist leaders to reveal plots to attack the United States and its allies.
Celebrity Birthdays: September 6th
Celebrating a birthday Friday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Comedian JoAnne Worley is 84.
- Singer-bassist Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) is 76.
- Actress Swoosie Kurtz is 75.
- Comedian-actress Jane Curtin is 72.
- Country singer Buddy Miller is 67.
- Actor James Martin Kelly ("Mob City," `'Magic Mike") is 65.
- Actor-comedian Jeff Foxworthy is 61.
- Actor-comedian Michael Winslow ("Police Academy") is 61.
- Actress Rosie Perez is 55.
- Singer Macy Gray is 52.
- Actor Idris Elba is 47.