ClickOnDetroit Morning Briefing -- Sept. 5, 2019
Here are this morning's top stories
DETROIT – ClickOnDetroit Morning Briefing -- Sept. 5, 2019
Usually, Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford is relying on his wife's strength to help him through injuries. It was his turn to be the strong one this time. Kelly Stafford was diagnosed with acoustic neuroma, a slow-growing tumor on the main nerve leading from the inner ear to the brain. Stafford underwent surgery that went from six hours to 12 hours. The couple talked about how their roles quickly had to reverse, especially when she returned home after the 12-hour surgery.
Michigan police are cracking down on a number of violations by drivers -- and pedestrians -- during a week-long enforcement in four cities in the state. Overtime enforcement mobilization grants have been awarded to law enforcement agencies in four Michigan cities - Detroit, Kalamazoo, Warren, and Lansing – starting September 5 through September 11.
Michigan's ban on flavored vaping products is primarily aimed at protecting children, although other harmful effects of vaping are becoming apparent. Health officials said there are serious concerns about vaping across the country.
The storm had lost some of its strength after hitting the Bahamas. But it intensified again into a Category 3 storm Wednesday night, with maximum sustained winds of 115 mph, according to the National Hurricane Center.
Yes, it's cool but we will get plenty of sunshine later this morning and through your afternoon bringing high temperatures into the low and mid 70s. The winds will be light ENE 5-10 mph keeping us dry all day.
Always find the latest local and national weather news at ClickOnDetroit.com/WeatherCenter.
More local headlines
- Man who pointed gun at Roseville police charged
- 1 killed in crash on EB I-96 at Greenfield Road in Detroit
- Neighbor describes Garden City shooting that left off-duty Detroit police officer dead
- Vigil planned for man killed while looking at houses in Inkster
- Man in custody after shooting 16-year-old boy during alleged dog attack
- Man killed while house hunting in Inkster, suspect arrested
For more Local News head to ClickOnDetroit.com/news/local.
News from across Michigan
For more Michigan News head to ClickOnDetroit.com/news/local/michigan.
National and international headlines
For more National News headlines, head to ClickOnDetroit.com/news/national.
LOCAL 4 Calendar
- Sept. 7 -- Dally in the Alley in Midtown
- Sept. 7 -- Michigan football vs. Army
- Sept. 7 -- Michigan State football vs. Western Michigan
- Sept. 8 -- Detroit Lions open season in Arizona
- Sept. 14 -- 18th Annual Tour de Troit
Check the Live Guide calendar for more local events, and post your own.
LOCAL 4 Sports news
- Michigan State vs. Western Michigan: 10 Broncos who Spartan fans should know about
- Detroit Lions Week 1: Breaking down the roster after preseason
- Michigan QB Shea Patterson reportedly injured on first play vs. Middle Tennessee State
For more local and national sports news go to ClickOnDetroit.com/sports.
LOCAL 4 Health
For more go to ClickOnDetroit.com/Health.
More Local News pages:
- Detroit News
- Wayne County News
- Oakland County News
- Metro Detroit Jobs section -- find a job, or post a job
- Missing in Michigan -- missing person reports
- Michigan Roads -- coverage of the state's crumbling roads
- Michigan Marijuana -- coverage of marijuana news and laws in Michigan
Local 4 News show pages:
- Local 4 News Today -- ClickOnDetroit.com/morning
- Local 4 News at 6 -- ClickOnDetroit.com/6p
- Local 4 News at 11 -- ClickOnDetroit.com/11p
For more head to ClickOnDetroit.com/seen-on-4.
Submit a news tip
- Tell us what's happening in your community -- submit a news tip to Local 4 and ClickOnDetroit right here.
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.