Detroit police submit 4 homicide warrants for suspected serial killer Deangelo Martin
Officials release cause of death for three women connected to case
DETROIT – Detroit police have submitted four homicide warrants for Deangelo Martin, who is suspected in a series of killings, Chief James Craig said.
Detroit police are waiting for prosecutors to make a charging decision. Police also revealed the cause of death for three victims tied to the serial killer case.
- Nancy Harrison, 52, was killed March 19 by blunt-force trauma to the head, officials said.
- Yvonne Cobern, 45, was killed June 10 by blunt-force trauma to the head, officials said.
- Trevesene Ellis, 53, was killed May 5. Her cause of death is still unknown.
Tamara Michelle Jones, 56, was killed June 5. A cause of death has not been determined, according to authorities.
A possible fifth case is currently pending, police said.
Martin is heading to trial on four counts of sex assault and assault with intent to murder.
A woman who is believed to have escaped the viscous choke hold of Martin took the stand Thursday. She told the court as she walked along Gratiot Avenue near Mack Avenue that someone grabbed her and pulled her into a house, where she fought to stay alive.
One of the woman accusing Martin of kidnapping and assaulting her faced the man she claims tried to take her life a few months ago.
The woman testified how her attacker choked her until she blacked out and she woke up in an abandoned house on Mack Avenue. She explained that the man never released the tight grip he had on her neck while he attempted to rape her.
She broke down in tears as she relieved the horrific moments and explained to the court how she managed to free herself with a pocket knife. She said she escaped from a second-floor window while partially nude.
Martin did not speak in court Thursday. The judge ruled that there was enough evidence for the case to go to trial.
Martin has not been officially charged in any of the murders linked to the suspected serial killings but police have named him as a suspect.
Martin faces charges
- Martin is accused of kidnapping, strangling and assaulting a 51-year-old Detroit woman. He was charged with kidnapping, assault with intent to do great bodily harm by strangulation and criminal sexual conduct -- assault with intent to commit sexual penetration. Read more here.
- He has been charged in connection with the alleged rape and stabbing of a 26-year-old woman. He was charged with assault with intent to murder and four counts of criminal sexual assault in that case. Read more here.
Possible serial killer victims
- Nancy Harrison - Body discovered March 19 on Coventry Street -- she is considered the first victim.
- Travesene Ellis - Body discovered May 24 on Linnhurst Street -- she is considered the second victim.
- Tamara M. Jones, who was found in a vacant house on Mack Avenue Wednesday, June 5.
- Anyone with information needs to contact police at 313-596-2260.
- Deborah Reynolds was last seen with Martin in August. Human remains were discovered Dec. 22, 2018, inside an abandoned home, and police are awaiting DNA tests to confirm if the remains belong to Reynolds. Read more here.
- Police are investigating to determine if the death of Annetta Nelson is connected to the serial killings. The 58-year-old mother of two was found dead on Detroit's west side. Read more here.
- Detroit neighborhood wants house at center of serial killer investigation torn down
- Suspect in Detroit serial killer case charged in sexual assault of second woman
- Detroit serial killer suspect will go to trial in unrelated sex assault case
- Suspect in Detroit serial killer case due in court on sexual assault charges
- Mom of suspected Detroit serial killer writes letter from behind bars
- Police investigate if suspected Detroit serial killer is linked to unsolved murders around country
- Detroit serial killer investigation: What we know about the search for victims
- Hairbrush could link missing woman to Detroit serial killer case
- Detroit serial killer case draws attention to vacant homes
- Vigil to be held Saturday night for victim of Detroit serial killer
- Residents want city-owned home connected to Detroit serial killer case demolished
- Detroit serial killer case: Macomb County mother shares details of daughter's attack
- Community on Detroit's east side remains on high alert over serial killer
- Person of interest in Detroit serial killer case charged with sexually assaulting woman
- Serial killer suspect charged in east side stabbing and sexual assault
- Missing woman last seen with person of interest in Detroit serial killer investigation
- What we know about a possible serial killer case after multiple women found dead in Detroit
- Detroit police arrest person of interest in possible serial killer case
- Detroit police search for victims in vacant homes as hunt for possible serial killer continues
- Police provide update on Detroit serial killer case
- Detroit police working to identify 3rd victim in possible serial killer case
- Volunteers search for evidence against Detroit serial killer
- Murdered woman's daughter knows suspect in Detroit serial killer case
- Community working to protect women from potential serial killer in Detroit
- 'My sister didn't deserve this:' Family of woman slain by potential Detroit serial killer speak out
- Women patrol Detroit streets in search for suspected serial killer
- Detroit police link deaths of 3 women to possible serial killer targeting sex workers
- Detroit police believe serial killer is targeting sex workers on city's east side
- Detroit police look for possible serial killer targeting sex workers
- What we know: Detroit police investigating potential serial killer, rapist targeting sex workers
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.