4 things to watch for -- Thursday, September 12th
Kim DeGiulio: I hope you all had a chance to vote for the Detroit Youth Choir to advance to the finals on America's Got Talent. They were phenomenal last night. I'm so inspired by them! They did it!
I've been loving this week because it feels like summer has returned. Tuesday night was beautiful in downtown Detroit. I was at Beacon Park playing volleyball. It felt like July again (my favorite time of the year). It looks like the warm temps are going to continue for at least another week!
I am so excited for the weekend. I'm headed up to East Lansing to watch my alma mater take on the Spartans in football. Even though I did go to Arizona State, I've always been a huge Michigan fan. I grew up cheering for them, so I've always had a special place in my heart for them. Once, I went to ASU I naturally became a pretty big ASU fan too. Michigan and Arizona State hardly play each other so I've never had to pick one or the other. The football schedule worked out perfectly for me this year because Michigan has a bye week and ASU happens to be playing Michigan State in East Lansing! I'm excited to be able to root on my school at a game for the first time since 2012!
As far as Michigan football goes, thank goodness they have a bye week. Last weekend's game was a little too stressful for a game so early in the season. Hopefully Michigan can get it together and come back next week a lot stronger against Wisconsin!
Here's what's coming up on Thursday, September 12, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- Wet Commute
More rain and thundershowers overnight making for a wet commute Thursday morning around Metro Detroit. But most of the afternoon tomorrow should be dry and not quite as warm. The clouds will linger and without much sunshine, highs will likely stay in the upper 70s with winds WNW becoming ENE 5-15 mph making it feel a little less muggy at least temporarily. More showers coming Friday.
- Get the full forecast here
Kim DeGiulio will also be watching the roads for us all morning. She'll have any construction updates and traffic trouble spots.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
5:55 a.m. -- Back to Basics: Coffee
Tired of boring black coffee or sick of spending all kinds of cash on fancy coffee shop drinks? We've got you covered. Kim DeGiulio is brewing up some advice to get that coffee shop taste at home in her new Back to Basics report.
All Morning -- Detroit Youth Choir on AGT
They did it! The Detroit Youth Choir will move on to the finals of American's Got Talent! Our Kimberly Gill is there with them in California. She was with them as they learned the results of the voting from their semi-finals performance. Wake up with us for a recap from Kimberly Thursday morning.
- Detroit Youth Choir delivers 'powerful' cover on 'AGT' stage: Watch it here
- WATCH: The Detroit Youth Choir story you missed on 'America's Got Talent'
6:40 -- Help Me Hank: Ride Share Warning
Before you hop into an Uber or a Lyft, we have an important warning. Is that ride going to make you sick? Help Me Hank has some surprising information you'll want to know before you book your next ride.
- Tasty Tuesday: Bow Wow Baketique
- Michigan's road funding battle stalls
- Annual Detroit JDRF One Walk aims to raise $1 million for type 1 diabetes research
- These 2 toddlers show us what real-life besties look like
Today's Trivia Retake
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Wednesday Question: When was the Detroit Youth Choir founded?
- Answer: 1996
Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: September 12th
- National Video Games Day
- National Chocolate Milkshake Day
- National Day of Encouragement
- National Report Medicare Fraud Day
- National School Picture Day
History Highlights: September 12th
- In 1953, Massachusetts Sen. John F. Kennedy married Jacqueline Lee Bouvier (boo-vee-AY') in Newport, Rhode Island.
- In 1958, the U.S. Supreme Court, in Cooper v. Aaron, unanimously ruled that Arkansas officials who were resisting public school desegregation orders could not disregard the high court's rulings.
- In 1959, the Soviet Union launched its Luna 2 space probe, which made a crash landing on the moon.
- In 1959, The TV Western series "Bonanza" premiered on NBC.
- In 1992, the space shuttle Endeavour blasted off, carrying with it Mark Lee and Jan Davis, the first married couple in space; Mae Jemison, the first black woman in space; and Mamoru Mohri, the first Japanese national to fly on a U.S. spaceship.
Celebrity Birthdays: September 12th
Celebrating a birthday Thursday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actor Ian Holm ("Lord of the Rings," "Chariots of Fire") is 88.
- Singer Maria Muldaur is 77.
- Actor Joe Pantoliano ("The Sopranos") is 68.
- Actor Peter Scolari ("Newhart," "Bosom Buddies") is 64.
- Actress Rachel Ward is 62.
- Actor Darren E. Burrows ("Northern Exposure") is 53.
- Singer Ben Folds (Ben Folds Five) is 53.
- Comedian Louis C.K. is 52.
- Country singer Jennifer Nettles of Sugarland is 45.
- Rapper 2 Chainz is 42.
- Singer Ruben Studdard is 41.
- Singer-actress Jennifer Hudson is 38.
- Actress Alfie Allen ("Game of Thrones") is 33.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.