Morning Show Insider: 🍔 Jason Carr's Cheeseburger
Jason Carr: Who doesn't love cheeseburgers? I'd have to go with the humble cheeseburger over pizza or a New York strip if I'm picking my stranded-on-an-island meal for the rest of my days. There are so many things you can do with it. Pickles, onion, lettuce, tomato, peppers, mustard, ketchup, mayo, special sauce, salt, pepper, seasoning salt, garlic salt, bacon, an egg-- I love burgers in all of their permutations. But I don't like it when restaurants stack upward. Don't start with a burger that's already too tall and then add onion rings, mozzarella sticks and God know what else. They should go wide and spread out the toppings. That way we as the customer don't have to remove a giant skewer holding everything together vertically. Thanks for listening.
Morning Crew's Take: We had some help getting over the hump on Wednesday. Jason Carr brought his griddle from home and cooked burgers for the morning team for National Cheeseburger Day. YUM!
What do you think is the key to a good burger? Jason has one secret that has nothing to do with the meat...it's actually the buns! He uses the same buns used by Shake Shack!
Here's a picture of his lineup --
Whether you're like Jason -- adding a secret blend of seasonings, sauces and more...or if you're just a regular meat, cheese and bun person -- we all hope you were able to enjoy a nice cheeseburger for National Cheeseburger Day (and now you know some of Jason's secrets to his favorite make-at-home burger).
Here's what's coming up on Thursday, September 19, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- 😎 Taking Aim at 80°
Thursday will be very comfy once again with morning lows in the 50s and highs taking aim at 80°F or warmer for the next few days. We'll see another beautiful balance of sun and clouds tomorrow, and a few more clouds on Friday. The humidity starts to increase Friday and Friday night and models show an isolated shower or two late Friday, especially in our North Zone. We won't worry too much about it right now as it looks like most of us will be dry for those High School Homecoming Football Games.
- Get the full forecast here
Kim DeGiulio will also be watching the roads for us all morning.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
All Morning -- 🎉 Celebrating DYC
Win or lose, the Detroit Youth Choir has been AMAZING. We'll find out Wednesday night at 8 p.m. on Local 4 if they take the top prize on America's Got Talent. Our Kimberly Gill is with the choir right now. She'll bring us a recap of and reaction from Wednesday's show. Then, be sure to join us Friday at 4 p.m. for a Homecoming Celebration at Campus Martius Park!
- Detroit Youth Choir homecoming celebration is Friday at Campus Martius
- Detroit Youth Choir shines during final 'AGT' performance
5:55 a.m. -- ☕ Back to Basics: Coffee
Tired of boring black coffee or sick of spending all kinds of cash on fancy coffee shop drinks? We've got you covered. Kim DeGiulio is brewing up some advice to get that coffee shop taste at home in her new Back to Basics report. Thursday, she'll make drip coffee.
6:40 -- 🏷️ Help Me Hank: Best By Date
Sell by, best by, best before and more. Help Me Hank is taking the guessing out of food labels. What do they really mean? Important information that could help you save food.
- Somerset Collection to open year-round storefront in Downtown Detroit
- Michigan reports 3 EEE-related deaths in worst outbreak in more than decade
- West Bloomfield police cracking down on people who cut through neighborhood to avoid construction
- Cars.com releases 2019 car seat checklist honor roll
🎶 Today's Trivia Retake
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Wednesday Question: What were the three songs the Detroit Youth Choir performed on America's Got Talent?
- Answer: Can't Hold Us, The Champion, High Hopes
Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
🗓️ National Days: September 19th
- National Pawpaw Day
- National Butterscotch Pudding Day
- Talk Like A Pirate Day
📜 History Highlights: September 19th
- In 1796, President George Washington's farewell address was published. In it, America's first chief executive advised, "Observe good faith and justice toward all nations. Cultivate peace and harmony with all."
- In 1934, Bruno Hauptmann was arrested in New York and charged with the kidnap-murder of 20-mont-old Charles A. Lindbergh Jr.
- In 1970, the "Mary Tyler Moore" show debuted on TV.
- In 1982, the smiley emoticon was invented by Carnegie Mellon University professor Scott E. Fahlman, who suggested punctuating humorously intended computer messages with a colon followed by a hyphen and a parenthesis as a horizontal "smiley face."
- In 1985, the Mexico City area was struck by a devastating earthquake that killed at least 9,500 people.
- In 1986, federal health officials announced that the experimental drug AZT would be made available to thousands of AIDS patients.
- In 1997, the crime drama "L.A. Confidential" was released by Warner Bros.
🎈Celebrity Birthdays: September 19th
Celebrating a birthday Thursday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- "Inside the Actor's Studio" host James Lipton is 93.
- Actor Jeremy Irons is 71.
- Actress-model Twiggy Lawson is 70.
- TV personality Joan Lunden is 69.
- Actress Carolyn McCormick ("Law and Order: Special Victims Unit") is 60.
- Comedian Cheri Oteri ("Saturday Night Live") is 57.
- Country singer Trisha Yearwood is 55.
- News anchor Soledad O'Brien is 53.
- Celebrity chef Michael Symon is 50.
- Actor Victor Williams ("The Affair," "King of Queens") is 49.
- Comedian-talk-show host Jimmy Fallon is 45.
- Actress-TV host Alison Sweeney ("Days of Our Lives," "The Biggest Loser") is 43.
- Singers Tegan and Sara Quin of Tegan and Sara are 39.
- Actor Columbus Short ("Scandal") is 37.
- Actress Katrina Bowden ("The Bold and the Beautiful," "30 Rock") is 31.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.