4 things to watch for -- Friday, September 20th
Kim DeGiulio: Did you stay up to see the season finale of America's Got Talent? I'm feeling a little sleepy because I had to stay up until the very end of the show to see if they won. Unfortunately, they didn't win it all but what a ride they had. They came in second place and had the experience of a lifetime. I really enjoyed the opening ceremony for the show. Both choirs performed together and got to perform alongside Macklemore and my all time favorite artist, KYGO! It was a phenomenal performance! I'm so excited for the kids to come back to Detroit and see how much the city has embraced them. It's been so cool to see the city light up in purple to cheer them on.
I'm looking forward to this weekend. I'm participating in a charity celebrity basketball game. The event is hosted by Give Merit and the FATE program in partnership with Jalen Rose Leadership Academy. All the proceeds from the tickets sold will go toward scholarship money for kids in the program. If you want to come watch me play some ball you can catch me at Straight Gate Church, located at 10100 Grand River Ave. tickets to watch the game are just $10. The game is on Saturday at 4pm. Here's a link to buy tickets.
You can also show up to the church and buy your tickets there!
Hope everyone has a great rest of the week and a great weekend. I'm hoping Michigan can pull out a W this Saturday at camp Randall but it's going to take a different team than what we saw two weeks ago!
Here's what's coming up on Friday, September 20, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- Friday and Beyond
We start to feel a little more humidity Friday as we start the day with temps in the low 60s under mostly cloudy skies. It will be a bit of a battle to see a ton of sun tomorrow as we expect only partly sunny skies with highs close to 80°F but it will feel a few degrees warmer as the winds remain light SSE 5-10 mph. We'll take a detailed look at the weekend as well.
- Get the full forecast here
All Morning -- I-94, I-75 Closing this Weekend
Repair work will require closing eastbound I-94 from US-12 (Michigan Avenue) to I-75 starting at 6 a.m. Saturday. Eastbound I-94 will have all lanes reopened from US-12 to I-75 by 5 a.m. Monday.
Kim DeGiulio will help us get around the highway headaches.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
All Morning -- Celebrating DYC
While you're sleeping, the Detroit Youth Choir will land back here at Metro Airport and our Nick Monacelli will be the only reporter with the DYC as they step off the plane, following their amazing run on America's got talent.
Wake up and Join us for the Detroit Youth Choir's HOMECOMING Friday morning, then be sure to head to Campus Martius for a celebration in their honor.
- Detroit Youth Choir takes 2nd place in 'America's Got Talent' finals
- Detroit Youth Choir homecoming celebration is Friday at Campus Martius
6:10 -- Fitness Friday
CrossFit is a big fitness craze right now, but what do you know about it? Could it be for you? Our Kim DeGiulio heads to CrossFit in the D for some fun and fitness.
- Amazon reveals plan to build sorting, delivery warehouse on Pontiac Silverdome site
- Michigan man meets German bone marrow donor who saved his life
- Help Me Hank: Take action to stop hackers from taking advantage of targeted ads
- Meijer expands 'Shop & Scan' to all SE Michigan stores: How it works
Today's Trivia Retake
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Thursday Question: Thursday was Detroit's own James Lipton's 93rd birthday. Who famously portrayed him on Saturday Night Live?
- Answer: Will Ferrell
Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: September 20th
- National Fried Rice Day
- National Pepperoni Pizza Day
- National Punch Day
- National String Cheese Day
- National Tradesmen Day
- National POW/MIA Recognition Day
History Highlights: September 20th
- In 1963, President Kennedy proposed a joint U-S-Soviet expedition to the moon.
- In 1973, in their so-called "battle of the sexes," tennis star Billie Jean King defeated Bobby Riggs in straight sets, 6-4, 6-3, 6-3, at the Houston Astrodome.
- In 1984, The family sitcoms "The Cosby Show" and "Who's the Boss?" premiered on TV.
- In 1995, in a move that stunned Wall Street, A-T-and-T Corporation announced it was splitting into three companies.
- In 2000, Independent Counsel Robert Ray announced the end of the Whitewater investigation, saying there was insufficient evidence to warrant charges against President Bill Clinton and first lady Hillary Clinton.
- In 2001, during an address to a joint session of Congress, President George W. Bush announced a new Cabinet-level office to fortify homeland security and named Pennsylvania Governor Tom Ridge its director.
Celebrity Birthdays: September 20th
Celebrating a birthday Friday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actress Sophia Loren is 85.
- Actor Tony Denison ("Major Crimes," "The Closer") is 70.
- Actor Gary Cole is 63.
- Actress Kristen Johnston ("3rd Rock From The Sun") is 52.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.