4 things to watch for -- Wednesday, September 25th
Rhonda Walker: Happy Birthday Jason my husband of 25 days and to everyone celebrating birthdays with him on September 25th!
Happy Fall to everyone that proclaims this their favorite season. I'll admit the only thing I like about fall is the beautiful fall colors, otherwise I have no desire to pack away my strappy sandals, sundresses and bathing suits to pull out sweaters, scarves, jackets and boots. I miss you already summer and I'm counting the days until it's June again!
One season I also love is the season of giving which is year round for me and many others in our charitable community. It warmed my heart to see the generous outpouring of support from the philanthropic and business community to match in donations the $1 Million Dollars the Detroit Youth Choir would have received if they came in first instead of 2nd on America's Got Talent. It's truly an example of why I love Detroit so much!
The Rhonda Walker Foundation would not be celebrating our 16 year of empowering inner city teen girls this year without the generous support of the metro Detroit donor community. My charity is one of many in the running for a $100k charitable gift from the Art Van Charity Challenge and I'd love your help to win it. The charity with the highest amount of donations wins cash with the top prize being the $100k so your donations really go a long way to impact the lives of needy Detroit kids.
Please follow the link to learn more and please consider making a donation to the RWF that will provide our youth with year round tutoring, ACT and SAT test prep courses, career and personal development workshops over five years, college prep seminars, mentoring, cross-country cultural and college visit trips and so much more.
Here's what's coming up on Wednesday, September 25, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- Rain Chances
We do have rain chances Wednesday as a midday cool front passes through SE Lower Michigan and Southern Ontario bringing scattered rain showers. The best window for rain chances will be between noon and 5pm tomorrow, but it's not a five hour rain event, instead scattered showers coming and going with temps in the low to mid 70s. If we can dry up all the showers and keep a little bit of midday sun, highs may flirt with 80°F as the warming winds begin to crank SSW 10-25 mph.
- Get the full forecast here
Kim DeGiulio will also be watching the roads for us all morning. She'll have any construction updates and traffic trouble spots for the week.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
All Morning -- Rhonda's Brag Book
Do you know a young person who is really making a difference in our community? A standout student, volunteer, star athlete - or all around incredible person?
As Rhonda mentioned, we want you to submit their information on ClickOnDetroit and they could land in Rhonda Walker's brag book! As Rhonda mentioned, she'll show off two incredible students Wednesday.
All Morning -- UAW-GM strike: Double-Digits
The UAW strike against General Motors is entering its 10th day. Picket lines continue outside of plants. The UAW says its roughly 49,000 members are on strike. We'll have live coverage as negotiations continue between General Motors and the UAW.
- UAW-GM strike enters second week with no tentative agreement
- Rod Meloni: Perspective on the UAW-GM national strike
6:40 a.m. -- Wellness Wednesday
It's the time when moms feel most distressed and challenged. Doctor McGeorge shows us what experts say parents can do to ease the stress of this overwhelming stage.
- Rare mosquito-borne illness has killed at least 6 in US
- An exclusive look at 3D technology TSA agents use to keep travelers at Detroit Metro Airport safe
- DYC, former Detroit Mayor Dennis Archer to be America's Thanksgiving Day Parade grand marshals
- Food expiration dates: Here's what it all means
Today's Trivia Retake
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Tuesday Question: Name the two people who will be the Grand Marshals of this year's America's Thanksgiving Parade.
- Answer: Dennis Archer and Anthony White
Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: September 25th
- National One-Hit Wonder Day
- National Comic Book Day
- National Lobster Day
- National Tune-Up Day
- National Research Administrator Day
- Math Storytelling Day
- National Women's Health & Fitness Day
History Highlights: September 25th
- In 1690, one of the earliest American newspapers, Publick Occurrences, published its first _ and last _ edition in Boston.
- In 1789, the first United States Congress adopted 12 amendments to the Constitution and sent them to the states for ratification. (Ten of the amendments became the Bill of Rights.)
- In 1911, ground was broken for Boston's Fenway Park.
- In 1919, President Woodrow Wilson collapsed after a speech in Pueblo, Colo., during a national speaking tour in support of the Treaty of Versailles.
- In 1956, the first trans-Atlantic telephone cable officially went into service with a three-way ceremonial call between New York, Ottawa and London.
- In 1957, nine black students who'd been forced to withdraw from Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas, because of unruly white crowds were escorted to class by members of the U.S. Army's 101st Airborne Division.
- In 1974, Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Tommy John underwent an experimental graft reconstruction of the ulnar collateral ligament in the elbow of his throwing arm to repair a career-ending injury; the procedure, which proved successful, is now referred to as "Tommy John surgery."
- 1981, Sandra Day O'Connor was sworn in as the first female justice on the Supreme Court.
- In 1992, NASA's Mars Observer blasted off on a $980 million mission to the red planet (the probe disappeared just before entering Martian orbit in August 1993).
- In 1997, President Bill Clinton pulled open the door of Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas, as he welcomed nine blacks who had faced hate-filled mobs 40 years earlier.
Celebrity Birthdays: September 25th
Celebrating a birthday Wednesday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Newswoman Barbara Walters is 90.
- Actor Michael Douglas is 75.
- Actor Anson Williams ("Happy Days") is 70.
- Actor Mark Hamill is 68.
- Actor Michael Madsen is 61.
- Actress Heather Locklear is 58.
- Actress Aida Turturro ("The Sopranos") is 57.
- Actor-singer Will Smith is 51.
- Actress Catherine Zeta-Jones is 50.
- Rapper T.I. is 39. Actor Lee Norris ("One Tree Hill") is 38.
- Actor Zach Woods ("Silicon Valley," "The Office") is 35.
Let to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.