4 things to watch for -- Friday, September 27th
Kim DeGiulio: Hope you've all had a great week. It's crazy how as soon as the calendar said it was fall the weather started to feel like it.
I've been enjoying these cooler days, breaking out the sweatshirts finally. I wish I could appreciate fall more but in the back of my mind I know that fall means one thing... WINTER IS COMING!
One thing I do love about fall is the start of new shows. I started watching the new season of This is Us on Tuesday. Did you watch? The episode had me SO confused until the very end. I was getting so annoyed thinking to myself "who are these people?" Thankfully they cleared things up in the end of the episode. This season looks like it's going to be really good!
Another great thing about fall... football! Not going to lie though, as a big Michigan fan, this has been a tough start. Last weekend's loss to Wisconsin was so embarrassing. This week Michigan plays Rutgers so HOPEFULLY they will look a lot better. It's my brothers birthday on Saturday, so we are throwing a tailgate before the game with my family to celebrate him. Good football or bad football I still love a good tailgate!
See you in the morning!
Here's what's coming up on Friday, September 27, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- Friday Weather & Beyond
Brandon Roux: Get ready for scattered rain and thundershowers moving in late Friday. Unfortunately, our computer model data varies on the timing, so plan on these showers possibly moving into Metro Detroit Friday around 5 or 6pm. Some model data suggests the showers will come in after 8 or 9pm Friday which would be the better set up for High School Football games. We are on it, and will keep you posted. Before the rain arrives, it's cool 40s to low 50s early Friday, and partly cloudy skies will turn mostly cloudy for most of the afternoon with highs in the low to mid 70s and still a bit breezy SSE 8-18 mph.
- Get the full forecast here
All Morning -- Weekend Construction
The weekend is almost here, but there's no rest for the construction crews. They'll be busy fixing roads across Metro Detroit. Kim DeGiulio will help us get around the orange barrels.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
6:10 a.m. -- Fitness Friday
Time to lace up those running shoes! With the Detroit Free Press Marathon less than a month away, Rhonda is being shown how to run properly and prevent injury.
6:40 a.m. -- Your Neighborhood: Bag Ladies
Evrod Cassimy will take us to the downriver community that is using plastic grocery bags and turning them into sleeping mats for the homeless. This group of women makes it all possible and you can get involved, too.
- WATCH: Detroit Youth Choir performs inside Michigan Central Station, gets surprise from Ford Fund
- Kanye West's 'Sunday Service' to stop in Detroit this Friday
- Help Me Hank: Tips to help spot potential health issues when getting new puppy
- Detroit Metro Airport installs facial recognition technology to speed up international travel
Today's Trivia Retake
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
National Days: September 27th
- National Chocolate Milk Day
- National Crush a Can Day
- National Corned Beef Hash Day
- National Gay Men's HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
- National Scarf Day
- National BRAVE DAY
History Highlights: September 27th
- In 1825, the first locomotive to haul a passenger train was operated by George Stephenson in England.
- In 1928, the United States said it was recognizing the Nationalist Chinese government.
- In 1964, the government publicly released the report of the Warren Commission, which concluded that Lee Harvey Oswald had acted alone in assassinating President John F. Kennedy.
- In 1979, Congress gave its final approval to forming the U.S. Department of Education.
- In 2004, NBC announced that "Tonight Show" host Jay Leno would be succeeded by "Late Night" host Conan O'Brien in 2009. (O'Brien's stint on "The Tonight Show" lasted just over seven months.)
Celebrity Birthdays: September 27th
Celebrating a birthday Friday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actress Kathleen Nolan is 86.
- Actor Wilford Brimley is 85.
- Singer-actor Meat Loaf is 72.
- Actress Liz Torres is 72.
- Singer Mark Calderon of Color Me Badd is 49.
- Actress Gwyneth Paltrow is 47.
- Singer Brad Arnold of 3 Doors Down is 41.
- Rapper Lil' Wayne is 37.
- Singer Avril Lavigne is 35.
Let to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.