Morning Show Insider: The Return of Summer
Brandon Roux: Who is ready for summer to return? Not me! But, I know a lot of you want to soak up the summer heat knowing a good ole Michigan Winter is looming.
Monday will be the first 80°F or warmer temperature in Metro Detroit in more than a week. Just so you know, our average high temp this time of year is about 69°F, but we know that Fall almost always delivers a taste or reminder of Summer. So, get ready for the heat, humidity, and storm chances. We will hit the low 80s Monday, mid to upper 80s Tuesday, and when you factor in the humidity we get heat indices around 90°F. With a warm front moving in, scattered showers midday Monday, but the hottest, sunniest, and muggiest day ahead will be Tuesday… no doubt.
Be careful not to over do it, drink plenty of fluids, and maybe take that last dip in the pool. Have you ever been up in the attic in the summer time? It’s so hot because heat rises and gets trapped in that attic. So, heat rising into the sky creates a very unstable atmosphere and is conducive to stormy weather, especially when the hot, unstable air meets up with a cold front. And that is happening as our brief Summer spell comes to a screeching halt Tuesday night and/or Wednesday. We may even be tracking some severe storm activity during this clash, so stay tuned. Fall weather returns Wednesday into Thursday and ahhhh, I can’t wait.
Did you know October is Pizza Month? We are featuring what one of our anchors thinks is the best pizza in town, and what one of our photographers says is the best pizza he’s ever eaten. It's coming up in my Tasty Tuesday report. See you next Monday!
Here's what's coming up on Monday, September 30, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- ☀️ Weather & 🚧 Traffic on the 4s
Brandon Roux: As I mentioned above in my blog, summer heat and humidity return Monday as highs head into the lower 80s. A few scattered showers midday Monday, but a better chance Tuesday night into Wednesday and Tuesday will be toasty and unstable with mid 80s feeling like 90°F. A front comes through late Tuesday and that cools us for the rest of the week next week. I'll be tracking it all for you.
- Get the full forecast here
Kim DeGiulio will also help us get around the orange barrels with weather and traffic on the 4s.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
All Morning -- 🏈🦁 Lions Recap
Right now, the Detroit Lions remain UNDEFEATED and in first place! Can they keep the streak alive? We'll have a recap of the game and reaction from the players when you wake up.
6:10 a.m. -- 💰 Money Monday
Over the last several weeks, our Rod Meloni has been educating us on long-term care. He'll continue to simplify some of the most complex parts of getting older -- your finances!
- Understanding long term care and Medicaid
- Understanding Medigap coverage
- Medicare Advantage
- Here's what Medicare Part A covers, what it doesn't
6:40 a.m. -- 💉 Flu Shot Freebies
It's time to start getting your flu shots! Did you know some places are actually giving gifts to customers who get flu shots with them? We'll show you where you can take advantage of flu shot freebies.
- Tips for warming up before a big run
- Wyandotte nonprofit organization uses grocery bags to help homeless
- Rhonda's Brag Book: Leonard Humphreys II
- Vaping lung injuries now surpass 800 cases nationwide, CDC says
🎤 Today's Trivia Retake
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Friday Question: Where was the last place Kanye West performed in Detroit?
- Answer: Joe Louis Arena
Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
📅 National Days: September 30th
- National Produce Misting Day
- National Custodial Worker's Recognition Day
- National Name Your Car Day
- National Fried Scallops Day
- National Walk to School Day
- National Pumpkin Seed Day
- National Coffee with a Cop Day
📜 History Highlights: September 30th
- In 1947, the World Series was broadcast on television for the first time; the New York Yankees defeated the Brooklyn Dodgers 5-3 in Game 1 (the Yankees went on to win the Series four games to three).
- In 1949, the Berlin Airlift came to an end.
- In 1955, actor James Dean, 24, was killed in a two-car collision near Cholame, California.
- In 2001, under threat of U.S. military strikes, Afghanistan’s hard-line Taliban rulers said explicitly for the first time that Osama bin Laden was still in the country and that they knew where his hideout was located.
- In 2003, the FBI began a full-scale criminal investigation into whether White House officials had illegally leaked the identity of undercover CIA officer Valerie Plame.
🎁 Celebrity Birthdays: September 30th
Celebrating a birthday Monday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actress Angie Dickinson is 88.
- Singer Sylvia Peterson of The Chiffons is 73.
- Actor Barry Williams (“The Brady Bunch”) is 65.
- Actress Fran Drescher is 62.
- Actor Eric Stoltz is 58.
- Country singer Eddie Montgomery of Montgomery Gentry is 56.
- Singer Trey Anastasio of Phish is 55.
- Actress Jenna Elfman is 48.
- Actor Kieran Culkin is 36.
- Rapper T-Pain is 35.
Let to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.