4 things to watch for -- Tuesday, October 15th
Evrod Cassimy: Call it a two for one! It was Monday, one of my favorite days of the week….but Monday was also NATIONAL DESSERT DAY!!!!!!!!!! We had the kind people from M Street Baking Company stop by to drop off the most incredible desserts! The picture is of one of their milkshakes. They are highly unlike your average milkshake from that fast food restaurant where the ice cream machine is always broken. These are, dare we say GOURMET milkshakes! Not to mention, M Street also dropped off some cupcakes with the Local 4 logo on them. Don't ask how many I ate. That's none of your business. LOL
And as if this week couldn't get any better, it's Tasty Tuesday during pizza month. We are featuring my FIRST love, Jet's pizza! I'm so excited! Is there really anything better than pizza, especially Detroit-style pizza from Jets? No. We'll share their family story and of course eat all the pizza. This is a must see! I hope you'll join us. Tune in from 4:30 to 7am cause you know what they say…miss a day, miss a lot!
Sign up for the Morning Show Insider newsletter here!
Here's what's coming up on Tuesday, October 15, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- Frost Advisory
Brandon Roux: We have a Frost Advisory Tuesday morning for all of SE Lower Michigan and Southern Ontario with lows dipping into the mid 30s under clear skies and patchy frost is likely in Metro Detroit. This means any sensitive vegetation you have outside may not survive the night. We will see morning sunshine and that sun will help warm temps back into the 60s and a bit a breeze kicking up again SE 5-15 mph gusting 20-25 mph. Rain chances increase late in the day and most of it should hold off until dinner time and beyond. Some of the heavier rain and isolated thundershowers will move in after 8pm Tuesday and last through the early overnight hours.
Get the full forecast here
Get ready for even more work for the big I-75 project in Oakland County. Kim DeGiulio will help us get around the orange barrels.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
All Morning -- Lions Recap
The Detroit Lions just couldn't do it in Green Bay against the Packers for Monday night football. This game comes with plenty of controversy and disappointment. We'll have highlights and post-game reaction to the big game.
All Morning -- Holiday Help Wanted
Another major retailer is looking to hire for the holidays. They actually need 37,000 people to lend a hand with shoppers (hundreds here in Metro Detroit)! Along with extra cash for the holiday cash, they're offering 25% off merchandise for people who work there.
6:45 a.m. -- Tasty Tuesday: The Jet's Story
You've had the pizza, Turbo crust and more, but do you know the people and story behind it all? Brandon Roux will sit down with the Jet family for Tasty Tuesday.
- UAW-GM strike: Following updates
- Fitness Friday: Pro running tips from Gazelle Sports
- Fortnite game ends, leaves player screens with tiny black hole
- The 3 best spots to score beer, wine and spirits in Detroit
Today's Trivia Retake
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Monday Question: 'Winnie the Pooh' was first published on this day in 1926.
Who created the iconic character?
- Answer: A.A. Milne
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: October 15th
- National Aesthetician Day
- National Cheese Curd Day
- National I Love Lucy Day
- National Grouch Day
- National Latino AIDS Awareness Day
- National Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day
- National White Cane Safety Day
- Pro-Life Day of Silent Solidarity
- National Pharmacy Technician Day
History Highlights: October 15th
- In 1860, 11-year-old Grace Bedell of Westfield, N.Y., wrote a letter to presidential candidate Abraham Lincoln, suggesting he could improve his appearance by growing a beard.
- In 1914, the Clayton Antitrust Act, which expanded on the Sherman Antitrust Act of 1890, was signed into law by President Woodrow Wilson.
- In 1945, the former premier of Vichy France, Pierre Laval, was executed for treason.
- In 1976, in the first debate of its kind between vice-presidential nominees, Democrat Walter F. Mondale and Republican Bob Dole faced off in Houston.
- In 2017: Actress and activist Alyssa Milano tweeted that women who had been sexually harassed or assaulted should write "Me too" as a status; within hours, tens of thousands had taken up the #MeToo hashtag (using a phrase that had been introduced 10 years earlier by social activist Tarana Burke.) Police in London investigated three new allegations of sexual assault against producer Harvey Weinstein, all made by the same woman.
- In 2017: Former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick filed a grievance against the NFL, alleging that he was still unsigned because of collusion by owners resulting from his protests during the national anthem.
Celebrity Birthdays: October 15th
Celebrating a birthday Tuesday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Singer Barry McGuire is 84.
- Musician Richard Carpenter of The Carpenters is 73.
- Singer Tito Jackson is 66.
- Singer Eric Benet is 53.
- Singer Keyshia Cole is 38.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.