Kim DeGiulio: We've had a pretty good week so far on the morning show. Pizza from Sicily's on Monday and then Tuesday we had pizza from Testa Barra. It's National Pizza Month so we're really trying to make the best of it!
I think pizza might be my favorite food. Any way you slice it, I love it. My all time favorite pizza is Buddy's. It's not just the pizza, it's the nostalgia of my youth when I eat it. Buddy's was my first job in high school. I was a hostess at the Buddy's on Michigan Ave. in Dearborn. It was so much fun. Every time I was there I would get to snack on the pizza and the Buddy bread. My family used to come visit me at work every Sunday night. Those were some of the best memories.
Another great pizza place that I just discovered is Grandma Bob's in Corktown. They're known for their thin crust but sometimes on weekends they have Detroit style pizza. It's so good!
When I'm in Ann Arbor, I always want to go to Mani Osteria. They have wood oven pizza that is so delicious. It's a really cute atmosphere too.
I love my pizza super spicy. I didn't use to, but my husband got me hooked on it. We always order pepperoni, jalapeño and throw a bunch of red pepper flakes on top. That's our go-to order at spots but sometimes we branch out and get fancy with other toppings.
I hope you're all taking the chance to enjoy some pizza this month! If you think of a good pizza spot around here that I should try, please send me a message on Instagram, Twitter or e-mail. Have a great day! 🍕
Here's what's coming up on Thursday, October 24, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- Nice and Calm
Brandon Roux: Thursday will be a nice and calm day with some early morning rain chances, especially in our North Zone. But, skies will dry and thin and we should get through most of tomorrow on the dry side with morning lows in the low to mid 40s and highs again in the mid 50s to near 60°F and winds WNW 5-15 mph.
- Get the full forecast here
All Morning -- Orange Barrel Alert
Our Kim DeGiulio will be watching the roads for us all morning. She'll have all the construction updates and traffic trouble spots you can expect for Thursday, Friday and the weekend.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
All Morning -- Pistons' Home Opener
The Detroit Pistons' home opener is Thursday at Little Caesars Arena. We'll have a preview of what's expected for this season as they prepare to take on the Atlanta Hawks.
6:40 a.m. -- Help Me Hank: Financial Fitness
The cold air is making its way around, but how do you keep that cold air out of your home? Help Me Hank is teaming up with experts to show you what you should do now to save money on your energy bill.
- Cougar sightings in Michigan: Are they on the rise? What you need to know
- Newly released recording alleges Warren Mayor Fouts threatened to shoot former chief of staff
- Michigan State University professor sends out survey containing racist, offensive statements
- Tasty Tuesday: Testa Barra Kitchen and Cocktails
Today's Trivia Retake
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Wednesday Question: Can you name the 'Spider-Man' director and Royal Oak native celebrating his 60th birthday today?
- Answer: Sam Raimi
Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: October 24th
- National Food Day
- National Bologna Day
- United Nations Day
History Highlights: October 24th
- In 1931, the George Washington Bridge, connecting New York and New Jersey, was officially dedicated (it opened to traffic the next day).
- In 1939, nylon stockings were sold publicly for the first time, in Wilmington, Delaware.
- In 1940, the 40-hour work week went into effect under the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938.
- In 1945, the United Nations officially came into existence as its charter took effect.
- In 1962, a naval quarantine of Cuba ordered by President John F. Kennedy went into effect during the missile crisis.
- In 1972, Hall of Famer Jackie Robinson, who'd broken Major League Baseball's color barrier in 1947, died in Stamford, Connecticut, at age 53.
- In 1989, former television evangelist Jim Bakker was sentenced by a judge in Charlotte, N.C., to 45 years in prison for fraud and conspiracy. (The sentence was later reduced to eight years; it was further reduced to four for good behavior.)
- In 2002, authorities apprehended Army veteran John Allen Muhammad and teenager Lee Boyd Malvo near Myersville, Maryland, in the Washington-area sniper attacks. (Malvo was later sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole; Muhammad was sentenced to death and executed in 2009.)
- In 2005, civil rights icon Rosa Parks died in Detroit at age 92.
Celebrity Birthdays: October 24th
Celebrating a birthday Thursday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actor F. Murray Abraham is 80.
- Actor Doug Davidson ("The Young and the Restless") is 65.
- Actor B.D. Wong is 59.
- Singer Monica is 39.
- Rapper Drake is 33.