4 things to watch for -- Tuesday, October 29th
From Evrod: Welcome to the work and school week. I certainly hope you had a great weekend! I certainly did! We were out and about all over Metro Detroit this weekend. I ended up at a place that I've always wanted to go to but have not been in the more than six years I've called Metro Detroit home. I took my family to the Outdoor Adventure Center. What a cool experience! There's something for everyone there and it's the perfect place to be when it's raining outside. My boys loved learning about nature and all of Michigan's outdoors. If you haven't been like I hadn't until this weekend, I highly suggest you stopping by as the weather starts to get worse. Your children will enjoy it!
So I totally forgot that pizza month is still going on! We've got Tasty Tuesday, and we're cooking up something great. Our final pizza month Tasty Tuesday. Don't miss it! We can't wait for you to join us from 4:30-7 a.m.
Here's what's coming up on Tuesday, October 29th, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- Change in the Air
Clouds are blowing off of a storm moving through the Great Lakes Region Tuesday with really nothing more than cloud cover for us during the day. Our dry air will eat into rain chances, but we should start to see some drips and drops after sunset Tuesday night.
Light rain showers are likely Tuesday night into early Wednesday.
- Get the full forecast here
Meantime, construction crews will be busy fixing roads across Metro Detroit. Kim DeGiulio will help us get around the orange barrels.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
All Morning -- Local 4 Halloween: Can You Guess?
Here's a preview of what the Local 4 News Today team will be for Halloween. Can you guess? Head to the Local 4 Facebook page and guess. We'll share some of your comments on the air Tuesday.
6:40 a.m. -- Halloween Office Parties
It never went well at Dunder Mifflin, so should you keep the Halloween costumes and candy at home? We've got the dos and don'ts of celebrating Halloween at work.
6:45 a.m. -- Tasty Tuesday: Pizza (one last time)
There's only one Tuesday left in Pizza Month! For the final day, we'll feature a few of the Local 4 team's favorites. Brandon, Kim and Evrod show off the pizza places they love the most in all of Metro Detroit.
- Friends, colleagues react to death of longtime Michigan Congressman John Conyers Jr.
- Detroit Hives works to relieve fear of bees
- Town goes viral for banning anyone over 14 from trick-or-treating
- Halloween candy bracket round 4 underway -- vote now!
Today's Trivia Retake
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
National Days: October 29th
- National Cat Day
- National Oatmeal Day
- National Hermit Day
- World Stroke Day
History Highlights: October 29th
- In 1923, the Republic of Turkey was proclaimed.
- In 1929, "Black Tuesday" descended upon the New York Stock Exchange. Prices collapsed amid panic selling and thousands of investors were wiped out as America's "Great Depression" began.
- In 1956, The Huntley-Brinkley Report" premiered as NBC's nightly television newscast.
- In 1960, a chartered plane carrying the California Polytechnic State University football team crashed on takeoff from Toledo, Ohio, killing 22 of the 48 people on board.
- In 1979, on the 50th anniversary of the great stock market crash, anti-nuclear protesters tried but failed to shut down the New York Stock Exchange.
- In 1998, Sen. John Glenn, at age 77, roared back into space aboard the shuttle Discovery, retracing the trail he'd blazed for America's astronauts 36 years earlier.
- In 2004, Osama bin Laden, in a videotaped statement, directly admitted for the first time that he'd ordered the Sept. 11 attacks and told America "the best way to avoid another Manhattan" was to stop threatening Muslims' security.
- In 2012, Superstorm Sandy slammed ashore in New Jersey and slowly marched inland, devastating coastal communities and causing widespread power outages; the storm and its aftermath were blamed for at least 182 deaths in the U.S.
Celebrity Birthdays: October 29th
Celebrating a birthday Tuesday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Country singer Lee Clayton is 77.
- Singer-actress Melba Moore is 74.
- Actor Richard Dreyfuss is 72.
- Actress Kate Jackson is 71.
- Singer Randy Jackson of The Jacksons is 58.
- Actress Winona Ryder is 48.
- Actress Tracee Ellis Ross is 47.
- Actress Gabrielle Union is 47.
- Actress Milena Govich ("Law and Order") is 43.
- Actress Janet Montgomery ("New Amsterdam") is 34.
Let to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.