4 things to watch for -- Friday, November 1st
From the twisted mind of Jason Carr’s head(less) body: Halloween is in the books, which means it’s time to sort candy. There are rules to this so follow closely. This will be on the test.
First, all chocolate-based sweets need to be sorted together first and foremost as the sun around which all the other cavity-causers orbit. Think of your family room shag carpet as the Milky Way and you have to arrange the stars and planets. So naturally Milky Way bars are your starting point, followed by Reese’s, Snickers, Three Musketeers, Twix, Kit Kat and so on.
From there you rotate outward to begin filling in the compressed sugars and chewable candies: Sweet Tarts, Smartees, Sour Patch Kids, Swedish Fish, etc. These must only be consumed after the chocolate is gone—preferably for breakfast the morning after Halloween. It is also recommended that you have an ice cold Dr. Pepper on hand.
As your candy mission continues into the outer cosmos, things get weird. This is the Realm of the Possibly Unwanted. Black Cows, licorice, Circus Peanuts, raisins, fruit cups, loose popcorn, spare change, and toothbrushes. These are best arranged as close to your grandparents seating positions as possible, as they will help you consume anything remotely resembling a Werther’s original, a Brach’s hard candy, or whatever That Is Over There.
Thank you for reading our updated guidelines. You may now return to Bride of Dracula.
Did you see the Local 4 News Today Halloween costume reveal?
Here's the preview...
And the reveal...
Here's what's coming up on Friday, November 1, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- Weekend Weather
Brandon Roux: Friday morning temps will be in the lower and mid 30s and overnight snow will have already moved on by sunrise. Skies will stay partly sunny and temps will only hit the mid 40s. The winds are still pesky WSW 7-17 mph gusting to 25 mph. We've got a chilly weekend on tap. I'll track it all for you.
- Get the full forecast here
All Morning -- Weekend Construction
Construction crews will be busy fixing roads across Metro Detroit. Kim DeGiulio will help us get around the orange barrels.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
6:10 a.m. -- Fitness Friday
If you're bored by traditional workouts, this is for you. One local place is combining cycling with partying! We'll take you inside Vibe Ride Detroit.
6:40 a.m. -- Your Neighborhood
Evrod Cassimy: I'll introduce you to this local woman who is helping to provide a comfortable place for victims of human trafficking and domestic violence. We'll show you how she's providing local shelters with an enchanted makeover.
- SUBMIT HERE: Charities or non-profits doing great things in Metro Detroit
- Nationals top Astros in Game 7 to win 1st World Series title
- Extra police patrols at West Bloomfield schools following Keego Harbor gun store break-in
- Michigan QB commit J.D. Johnson announces end of football career due to medical condition
- UAW, Ford reach proposed tentative agreement
❓ Today’s Trivia Retake ❓
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Thursday Question: Who composed the famous soundtrack for the original 'Halloween' movie from 1978?
- Answer: John Carpenter
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: November 1st
- National Authors' Day
- National Calzone Day
- National Family Literacy Day
- National Cook For Your Pets Day
- National Vinegar Day
- National Deep Fried Clams Day
- National Brush Day
- National Jersey Friday
History Highlights: November 1st
- In 1512, Michelangelo’s just-completed paintings on the ceiling of the Vatican’s Sistine Chapel were publicly unveiled by the artist’s patron, Pope Julius II.
- In 1870, the United States Weather Bureau made its first meteorological observations.
- In 1968, the Motion Picture Association of America unveiled its new voluntary film rating system: G for general, M for mature (later changed to GP, then PG), R for restricted and X (later changed to NC-17) for adults only.
- In 1991, Clarence Thomas took his place as the newest justice on the Supreme Court.
- In 1995, Bosnia peace talks opened in Dayton, Ohio, with the leaders of Bosnia, Serbia and Croatia present.
- In 2017, Prompting celebrations in a city still recovering from Hurricane Harvey, the Houston Astros won their first World Series championship, beating the Dodgers 5-1 in Game 7 in Los Angeles.
Celebrity Birthdays: November 1st
Celebrating a birthday Friday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Country singer Bill Anderson is 82. ‘
- Actress Barbara Bosson (“Murder One,” ”Hill Street Blues”) is 80.
- “Hustler” publisher Larry Flynt is 77.
- Singer Lyle Lovett is 62.
- Actress Rachel Ticotin is 61.
- Singer Anthony Kiedis of Red Hot Chili Peppers is 57.
- Drummer Rick Allen of Def Leppard is 56.
- Country singer Big Kenny of Big and Rich is 56.
- Actress and TV personality Jenny McCarthy is 47.
- Actor Matt Jones (“Breaking Bad”) is 38.
- Actress Natalia Tena (“Game of Thrones”) is 35.
Let to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.