DETROIT – Demolition has started on Detroit’s Saturday Night Building after City Council decided against a historic designation for it earlier this year.
The demolition was planned to make room for a surface parking lot, consisting of 12 parking spots.
Some background on the building from Preservation Detroit:
The history of the building began in 1911, when newspapermen Harry Nimmo and William Orr asked architects Smith, Hinchman, and Grylls to design a home for the Detroit Saturday Night.
It opened in 1914. The newspaper moved to a larger location in 1929, but the building at 550 West Fort continued to provide office space for generations of business people.
The Detroit Saturday Night published from 1907-1939 and is now archived in the Library of Congress.