Toxic gas TCE found leaking outside business in Howell

Elevated levels not dangerous to the public, test found

HOWELL, Mich. – State health officials held a meeting earlier this month with the Howell community after elevated levels of trichloroethylene (TCE) was found leaking outside of a business in Howell, according to officials.

Officials said the first step in their toxicity testing was ensuring that the business, Diamond Chrome Plating Company near West Livingston and Michigan Avenue, was operating in accordance to state regulations.

Single exposure to TCE is a risk for pregnant women as it can potentially affect fetuses and repeated exposure has been associated with effects in the liver, kidneys, immune system, central nervous system, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

A follow-up test by the state revealed the levels found are below what would be considered dangerous to the public.

Additional testing will be conducted.

About the Author: