DETROIT – Evrod Cassimy: Happy Friday! Let me say it again....It’s FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!! Hopefully you have great plans for the weekend. We are coming off of a fun filled week but I’m still excited for what’s ahead. Saturday, I’m excited to join my co-anchor, Rhonda Walker, for her Christmas for the Homeless event. It’s a charity event she does every year through her Rhonda Walker Foundation. We bring our families to a local homeless shelter and provide free gifts for the women and children who live there. It’s such a great event not just for those families but it’s a great lesson if giving for my sons. We’ve been going every year since we moved to Detroit. My boys love it!
What I’m most looking forward to this weekend is quality family time. Last night we went out to dinner as a family to one of our new favorite restaurants, Stoney River. If you haven’t been, it’s amazing! We’ll spend the weekend finishing putting the last touches on the Christmas tree, doing a bit of Christmas shopping as we have less than three weeks till Christmas! Do you have any ideas as to what I should get my family? Send me a DM on Instagram to help me out!
I hope you have a great weekend and we’ll see you Monday morning from 4:30-7am!
All Morning – The Storm
Paul Gross: The computer models have come into better agreement about the Monday-Tuesday storm. Rain develops Sunday night and continues through the day Monday. Highs Monday again in the upper 40s (9 degrees Celsius), but don’t get used to it.
An Arctic cold front crosses the area Monday night, and rain may change to some snow…it’ll be a close call for the Tuesday morning rush hour. Temperatures will fall through the 30s on Tuesday (2 to -1 degrees Celsius), and it’ll become windy with lake effect snow showers likely.
- Get the full forecast here
All Morning – Road Conditions
With any chance of rain or snow, the roads could be a challenge. Kim DeGiulio will be monitoring the roads all morning to help us get around any problems.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
6:10 a.m. – Money Monday
Changes are coming to Michigan tax collection. This involves outstanding tax bills, state debt and more. Local 4 Business Editor Rod Meloni will help you sort it all out.
6:40 a.m. – Social Media Shopping
Are you shopping online for the holidays? Most of us are, but social media is playing a bigger role in holiday shopping. We’ll show you how social media influencers may be influencing you to spend more!
❓Today’s Trivia Retake❓
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Friday Question: What was the ‘microwave oven’ originally called?
- Answer: Radarange
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: December 9th
- National Pastry Day
- Weary Willie Day
History Highlights: December 9th
- In 1965, “A Charlie Brown Christmas,” the first animated TV special featuring characters from the “Peanuts” comic strip by Charles M. Schulz, premiered on CBS.
- In 1975, President Gerald R. Ford signed a $2.3 billion seasonal loan-authorization that officials of New York City and State said would prevent a city default.
- In 2018, Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich was arrested after prosecutors said he was caught on wiretaps scheming to sell Barack Obama’s vacant Senate seat for cash or a plum job for himself in the new administration.(Blagojevich was convicted of wide-ranging corruption in 2011 and sentenced to 14 years in prison.)
- In 2018, NBC announced that “Tonight Show” host Jay Leno would be moving to prime time.
Celebrity Birthdays: December 9th
Celebrating a birthday Monday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with –
- Actress Judi Dench is 85.
- Actor Beau Bridges is 78.
- Actor Michael Nouri is 74.
- Singer Joan Armatrading is 69.
- Actor John Malkovich is 66.
- Singer Donny Osmond is 62.
- Actress Felicity Huffman (“Desperate Housewives,” ”Sports Night”) is 57.
- Actress Allison Smith (“The West Wing,” ”Kate and Allie”) is 50.
- Country singer David Kersh is 49.
- Actress Reiko Aylesworth (“24”) is 47.
- Rapper Canibus is 45.
- Singer Imogen Heap is 42.
Local 4 News Today links