DETROIT – Evrod Cassimy: Happy Monday! I hope your new week is off to a great start! You know I love Mondays. Hopefully you aren’t too tired from your Super Bowl party yesterday. I didn’t stay up too late to watch the game but am still struggling a bit this morning. Congrats to the Kansas City Chiefs!! What a game!
Other than the Super Bowl, I had a jam packed weekend. Friday was fairly low key with a family dinner at Stoney River. Saturday I had an early morning radio interview on 910 AM about my new album, Just Evrod. Saturday night I hung out with some friends which included stops at Central Kitchen for dinner, MGM Casino and Trust. Sunday was a fun family day. We went to Rev Run of Run DMC and his wife Justine’s book signing at the Detroit Public Library. I have lived in Detroit now for almost seven years and I realized that was the FIRST time I had ever been to the Detroit Public Library! Can you believe it? While I didn’t grow up on Run DMC, I was a huge fan of Run’s show called Run’s House on MTV so it was great to see him in person. Then we took the family to the new Buddy’s Pizza downtown. We ended the afternoon with live music from Herb the Artist at the Shinola Hotel. The kids loved it! Just like me, my wife and two boys love live music!
This month on Local 4 News Today we are celebrating Black History Month with some really great stories. Today my interview with America’s Got Talent host, Terry Crews, aired. I don’t want to give too much away about what we have coming up but I will say this, my interview with comedian and Oscar-winning actress, Mo’Nique will air this week as well. I can’t want for you to see some of the great stories we have planned. Be sure to join us every morning from 4:30-7am. See ya tomorrow morning!
Here’s what we’re working on for Tuesday, February 4th on Local 4 News Today --
All Morning – Tracking Snow
Paul Gross: It’ll be mostly cloudy on Tuesday with a bit of light rain possible. Highs in the mid 30s (3 degrees Celsius). Mostly cloudy Tuesday night, with lows in the mid 20sw (-5 to -4 degrees Celsius). Mostly cloudy on Wednesday, with highs in the low 30s (0 degrees Celsius). Snow develops Wednesday night, and continues into Thursday morning.
- Get the full forecast here
We will also be keeping an eye on the roads all morning.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
All Morning – The Iowa Caucuses
What are the Iowa caucuses and why do they matter? They’re essentially small local meetings where neighbors and strangers stand up to show their support for a particular candidate, and to persuade others to join them. Iowa’s 41 national delegates are up for grabs, but the real stakes for the candidates are all about momentum. We’ll recap with results and analysis when you wake up.
All Morning - The Coronavirus Outbreak
Metro Airport is now one of 11 airports that will play a key role in stopping the spread of the Coronavirus. It’s part of travel restrictions that took effect Sunday. More cases continue to pop up and more efforts are being done to stop the spread. We’ll have complete coverage when you wake up.
6:45 a.m. - Tasty Tuesday
A local baker is keeping her granddad’s legendary recipe alive. Her pies are incredible and are even requested by big TV star like Martha Stewart. Her secret? Listen to your lemons! Brandon Roux will explain.
- Recreational marijuana in Michigan: List of 42 active adult-use licenses
- Detroit Metro Airport one of 11 airports to receive flights from China
- How did Black History Month come to be?
- Surprise destination is the new travel trend: Would you do this?
National Days: February 4th
- National Create a Vacuum day
- National Hemp Day
- National Homemade Soup Day
- National Thank a Mail Carrier Day
- Safer Internet Day U.S.
History Highlights: February 4th
- In 1789, electors chose George Washington to be the first president of the United States.
- In 1861, delegates from six southern states that had recently seceded from the Union met in Montgomery, Alabama, to form the Confederate States of America.
- In 1913, Rosa Parks, a black woman whose 1955 refusal to give up her seat on a Montgomery, Ala., city bus to a white man sparked a civil rights revolution, was born Rosa Louise McCauley in Tuskegee.
- In 1938, Disney’s animated feature “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” opened in general U.S. release.
- In 1962, a rare conjunction of the sun, the moon, Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn occurred.
- In 1997, a civil jury in Santa Monica, California, found O.J. Simpson liable for the deaths of his ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend, Ronald Goldman.
Celebrity Birthdays: February 4th
Celebrating a birthday Tuesday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here’s who you’re sharing a birthday with –
- Actor Jerry Adler is 91.
- Actor Gary Conway is 84.
- Actor John Schuck is 80.
- Rock singer Alice Cooper is 72.
- Country singer Clint Black is 58.
- Actress Gabrielle Anwar is 50.
- Singer Natalie Imbruglia is 45.
- Rapper Cam’ron is 44.
- Rock singer Gavin DeGraw is 43.
- Rock singer Zoe Manville is 36.