23-year-old charged in triple homicide on Detroit's west side

Demaro Devone Horne charged with 3 counts of open murder

Headline Goes Here

DETROIT - A 23-year-old man was charged Monday in the triple homicide in Detroit over the weekend.

Demaro Devone Horne, of Southgate, is charged with three counts of open murder, two counts of assault with intent to murder, one count of first-degree home invasion, one count of felon in possession of a firearm and felony firearms violations.

Horne is accused of ambushing the family members as they slept Saturday morning at a home on the city's west side, police said.

He was arraigned Thursday afternoon in the hospital.

A probable-cause conference is scheduled for March 28, and a preliminary examination is scheduled for April 4.

What happened

Stricken with grief, the matriarch of the family was carried from the residence after her husband, daughter and grandson were killed.

Robert Pittman, 60, Michelle Davis-Asaka, 43, and Darrion Jones, 23, were identified as the victims shot to death.

Six people were at the home in the 16600 block of Rutherford near McNichols and Greenfield roads, when the gunman kicked in the door about 6 a.m. Once inside, family members said he pulled out a weapon.

Davis-Asaka ran into her father’s room, where she and Pittman were both killed.

Jones died trying to protect his cousin, who hid in a closet.

A fourth person, a 27-year-old man, was wounded in a shootout with the gunman, Detroit police said. At last check, he was listed as stable at a nearby hospital.

Suspect served 6 years after murder charges were dropped in plea agreement 

Horne was charged in an incident in Sept. 2010. 

Originally, Horne was charged with assault with intent to murder, assault with a dangerous weapon, felony firearms violations and domestic violence.

Assault with intent to murder is punishable up to life in prison.

Horne accepted a plea agreement and pled guilty to assault with a dangerous weapon and felony firearms violations. The other charges were dropped.

He spent six years in prison and was released in October of 2016.

Copyright 2017 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.