Carbon monoxide poisoning blamed for sickening 7 at assisted living home in West Bloomfield

Firefighters say generator in garage was releasing fumes

Headline Goes Here

WEST BLOOMFIELD, Mich. - Seven people from an assisted living home in West Bloomfield were rushed to the hospital Thursday after showing signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The township's fire department said CO monitors at the Aleardi's Place of West Bloomfield I on Norma Lee Drive measured levels near 500 parts per million – The Consumer Product Safety Commission says a dangerous level is anything over 70.

Fire officials said it appears the CO was coming from a generator that had been running in the garage.

Everyone was expected to be OK.

Generators should always be kept in the open for proper ventilation and never in an enclosed area where fumes can accumulate.

Copyright 2012 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.