DETROIT - ClickOnDetroit Morning Briefing -- Aug. 15, 2019
A funeral service will be held on Thursday afternoon for longtime Oakland County executive L. Brooks Patterson. Patterson died at on Aug. 3 at his Independence Township home surrounded by family and friends after a battle with pancreatic cancer.
Mike Grimes served as administrative assistant to UAW Vice President Cindy Estrada until this past year. He was assigned to General Motors. He is accused of wire fraud, money laundering, and getting nearly $2 million in kickbacks. Investigators say he helped obtain contracts for a clothing/apparel company and chiropractor, and then threatened them.
On August 16, 1987, Northwest Flight 255 crashed shortly after taking off from Detroit Metropolitan Airport, killing 156 people. We remember it every year, honoring the lives lost in one of the most horrific aviation disasters in United States history.
Today will feature an isolated shower possible during the morning, although most of us will remain dry. Scattered showers and thunderstorms then pop up this afternoon during the heat of the day. Highs will reach the low 80s (27-28 degrees Celsius), with a north wind at 5 to 10 mph.
Always find the latest local and national weather news at ClickOnDetroit.com/WeatherCenter.
More local headlines
- Grandmother uses keys to beat 5 pit bull puppies off her granddaughter
- Feds find illegal machine gun conversion kits in Detroit
- Man in critical condition after losing control of pickup, hitting wall, SUV on I-94 in Macomb County
- 2019 guide to southeast Michigan cider mill opening dates 🍎
For more Local News head to ClickOnDetroit.com/news/local.
News from across Michigan
- Michigan unemployment rate edges higher to 4.3% in July
- A trip Up North: Why doing nothing, for once, means everything
For more Michigan News head to ClickOnDetroit.com/news/local/michigan.
National and international headlines
- Philadelphia suspect's lawyer called him to help end it
- Report: Epstein autopsy finds broken bones in his neck
For more National News headlines, head to ClickOnDetroit.com/news/national.
LOCAL 4 Community calendar
- Aug. 17 -- Renaissance Festival begins!
- Aug. 17 -- Woodward Dream Cruise
- Aug. 17-18 -- St. Clair Shores Aqua Fest
- Aug. 23 -- Detroit Lions vs. Buffalo Bills at Ford Field
- Aug. 29 -- Michigan State Fair begins
- Aug. 30 -- Michigan State football opener vs. Tulsa
- Aug. 30 -- Arts, Beats and Eats weekend
- Aug. 31 -- Detroit Jazz Festival kicks off
- Aug. 31 -- Michigan football opener vs. Middle Tenn. State
- Sept. 2 -- Labor Day
- Sept. 7 -- Dally in the Alley in Midtown
- Sept. 8 -- Detroit Lions open season in Arizona
- Sept. 14 -- 18th Annual Tour de Troit
Check the Live Guide calendar for more local events, and post your own.
LOCAL 4 Sports news
- Michigan's 'The Victors' named best fight song in college football history
- Detroit Tigers' 9th-round pick from last year, Tarik Skubal, now a top 100 prospect in baseball
- Michigan football could have 7 dangerous wide receivers this year in Josh Gattis' offense
For more local and national sports news go to ClickOnDetroit.com/sports.
LOCAL 4 Entertainment
LOCAL 4 Health
For more go to ClickOnDetroit.com/Health.
More Local News pages:
- Detroit News
- Wayne County News
- Oakland County News
- Metro Detroit Jobs section -- find a job, or post a job
- Missing in Michigan -- missing person reports
- Michigan Roads -- coverage of the state's crumbling roads
- Michigan Marijuana -- coverage of marijuana news and laws in Michigan
Local 4 News show pages:
- Local 4 News Today -- ClickOnDetroit.com/morning
- Local 4 News at 6 -- ClickOnDetroit.com/6p
- Local 4 News at 11 -- ClickOnDetroit.com/11p
For more head to ClickOnDetroit.com/seen-on-4.
Submit a news tip
- Tell us what's happening in your community -- submit a news tip to Local 4 and ClickOnDetroit right here.
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.