The union workers went on strike Sunday night after negotiations broke down with the automaker. A couple dozen union workers formed a picket line outside the Lake Orion plant Monday morning, blocking the vehicles of other workers who were reporting to their jobs. Negotiations will get underway again by 10 a.m. Monday.
Now the talks will be in earnest on Monday. It appears the logjam between the two sides has been broken after the strike announcement and subsequent GM statement on negotiations.
The automaker is expected to lose $250 million a day at its assembly plants. UAW members who show up at the picket line will get $250 a week.
This is the largest strike against any U.S. business since 2007.
- Here is GM's statement on UAW bargaining, strike announcement
- Rod Meloni: Perspective on the UAW-GM national strike
Sterling Heights police officers were involved in a shooting just after 3:30 a.m. Monday at a mobile home park in the area of Utica Road and Van Dyke. According to police, there was an argument between a group of people in the street. Officers were directed to a home where one of the individuals that was involved in the 40000 block of Bonaparte Avenue.That man exited his home and pointed a gun toward officers, police said. Officers fired multiple rounds at this man, hitting him multiple times.
Police in West Michigan have issued an Endangered Missing Advisory for three children on Monday. Authorities in Ottawa County are asking for the public's help in locating three missing children. WOOD-TV reports police said that an Endangered Missing Advisory was issued for 4-year-old Nicholas Smith, 10-year-old Kaidence Enriquez and 8-year-old Walter Enriquez.
From Brandon Roux:
We have a few light rain showers this morning and patchy fog around Metro Detroit this morning and that will be the case through about 8 a.m. Then, it's mostly cloudy and a bit muggy most of the day with highs in the mid to maybe upper 70s with light winds N 5-10 mph.
Always find the latest local and national weather news at ClickOnDetroit.com/WeatherCenter.
More local headlines
- Melvindale-Northern Allen Park Schools closed Monday due to threat
- Son of anti-violence activist murdered in Highland Park
- Detroit Youth Choir advances to finals
For more Local News head to ClickOnDetroit.com/news/local.
News from across Michigan
For more Michigan News head to ClickOnDetroit.com/news/local/michigan.
National and international headlines
- Trump says US 'locked and loaded' after Saudi oil field attack
- Humberto strengthens to Category 1 hurricane
- Purdue Pharma files for bankruptcy
For more National News headlines, head to ClickOnDetroit.com/news/national.
LOCAL 4 Calendar
- Sept. 17 -- Detroit Red Wings begin preseason 🏒
- Sept. 19 -- Eastern Market After Dark 🎉
- Sept. 20 -- Funky Ferndale Art Fair 🎭
- Sept. 28 -- Avril Lavigne at Fox Theatre 🎤
- Oct. 1 -- Phil Collins at LCA 🎤
- Oct. 5 -- The Black Keys at LCA 🎤
Check the Live Guide calendar for more local events, and post your own.
LOCAL 4 Sports news
- Stafford overcomes mistakes to help Lions top Chargers 13-10
- Pac-12 acknowledges officiating error in Arizona State's win over Michigan State
For more local and national sports news go to ClickOnDetroit.com/sports.
LOCAL 4 Health
For more go to ClickOnDetroit.com/Health.
More Local News pages:
- Detroit News
- Wayne County News
- Oakland County News
- Metro Detroit Jobs section -- find a job, or post a job
- Missing in Michigan -- missing person reports
- Michigan Roads -- coverage of the state's crumbling roads
- Michigan Marijuana -- coverage of marijuana news and laws in Michigan
Local 4 News show pages:
- Local 4 News Today -- ClickOnDetroit.com/morning
- Local 4 News at 6 -- ClickOnDetroit.com/6p
- Local 4 News at 11 -- ClickOnDetroit.com/11p
For more head to ClickOnDetroit.com/seen-on-4.
Submit a news tip
- Tell us what's happening in your community -- submit a news tip to Local 4 and ClickOnDetroit right here.
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.