Consumers Energy turns over report to state as part of investigation into Royal Oak home explosion

Dan Malczynski killed Feb. 27 when home on Cooper Avenue blew up from gas leak

DETROIT - Consumers Energy said Monday it had turned over to the state a report summarizing findings related to the gas explosion in February of a home in Royal Oak.

This report is now in the hands of the Michigan Public Service Commission (MPSC).

READ: Consumers Energy report to state April 3, 2013

The report walks through the actions Consumers Energy workers did the evening of Feb. 27, when an explosion ripped apart a home on Cooper Avenue, killing 58-year-old Dan Malczynski.

The company has blamed a ruptured service line for the incident.

According to the report, Consumers workers immediately shut off gas to neighboring homes and businesses, evacuated residents, took photos of the damage and performed additional gas leak surveys and tests.

They also conducted in-homeĀ  inspections and paid for lodging and other expenses for residents who could not immediately return to their homes. Consumers said it still continues to test leak surveys in the area on a weekly basis and is taking many steps, including TV ads about gas safety as well as safety programs in local schools.

The company says it's also strengthening communications about gas safety among employees.

Also included in the report is a summary of the Feb. 28 suspension of statewide boring operations by the company.

Hank Winchester will have reaction from people who lived nearby Monday on Local 4 News at 6.

Previous Royal Oak home explosion stories:

Copyright 2013 by All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.