Man sentenced to life without parole for deadly 'planned killing spree'
A 45-year-old Sterling Heights man was sentenced Monday for what police called a "planned killing spree" that started Downriver and ended in Oakland County.
Vernest James Griffin was found guilty of first-degree premeditated murder, carjacking, armed robbery and possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony. He did not appear in court for sentencing.
Detroit woman charged with false report of child abduction faces judge
On Monday afternoon, 32-year-old Domanique Marie Rezende faced a judge through a video monitor for the first time since her arrest.
Police said Rezende lied about somebody kidnapping her 4-year-old son after the suspect drove off with her car on Sunday afternoon.
Business owner sentenced for installing video camera at CrossFit gym
A Clinton Township business owner is heading to prison after officials said he illegally videotaped gym members in their changing rooms. The shaken victims vented their anger Tuesday at Matt Krakowski's sentencing.
Krakowski, 35, of Casco Township, opened the Switch CrossFit Gym in Clinton Township and quickly had a strong following.
Women, in particular, found it strange that he would disappear from the gym for long periods of time, and nobody knew where he had gone until an off-duty police officer saw a camera mounted in the gym's ceiling tile, according to authorities.
Crime by county
- Detroit City Council votes to bar several towing companies
- Judge rules Michigan State Police trooper doesn't have to testify at Mark Bessner's trial
- 16-year-old boy fatally shot in Inkster
- Detroit police seek public's help in locating man wanted in connection with shooting
- Intoxicated man found crawling on lawn in front of vacant Detroit dwelling shot in the groin
- 42-year-old shot in kneecap after argument over money at Detroit lounge
- Detroit police now say 4-year-old boy was not in vehicle when car was stolen
- Shooting near Inkster Cobras Motorcycle Club being investigated
- Former Sen. Virgil Smith accuses Wayne County prosecutor of retribution in growing legal battle
- Livonia man tries to hire hitman to kill girlfriend's husband, police say
- Detroit man accused of defrauding 100 people in $300,000 Ponzi-type scheme
- Police: 20-year-old man in critical condition after shooting on Detroit's west side
- Harper Woods police investigating armed home invasion
- Teen wanted in 70-year-old grandfather's fatal shooting at Detroit home
- Shooting outside Harper Woods homes captured on surveillance video
- Gas station clerk stabbed by suspected candy bar thief in River Rouge
- Body camera video shows Westin Book Cadillac Hotel confrontation with Pittsburgh official
- Detroit police seek assistance identifying 2 in connection with stolen gas station merchandise
- Former Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick claims lawyer's relationship with judge affected his trial
- Bloomfield Township police searching for woman wanted in connection to identity theft
- Government won't appeal decision by Detroit federal judge who threw out FGM charges
- Rochester Hills company paying back wages, penalties for H-2B Visa violations
- Local 4 Defenders ride along with Troy police officer busting distracted drivers
- Serial robber targets elderly shoppers during Macomb County crime spree, police say
- Mount Clemens woman found living with 86 cats, 1 dog charged with animal cruelty
- Center Line public safety officers to wear body cams
- Police investigating string of car thefts in Macomb County
- Thieves breaking into homes, cars in Chesterfield Township
- Macomb County man charged with possession of child porn, filming an unclothed person
- Jealous teenager crashes speeding car into Eastpointe home, officials say
View the full Crime News section at ClickOnDetroit.com/news/local/crime.
Manage your ClickOnDetroit newsletter subscriptions here.
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.