DETROIT - Detroit Public Schools has announced the addition of 46 pre-kindergarten classrooms and other details of its universal pre-K program.
The initiatives are part of the district's strategic plan to increase enrollment and improve academic performance.
The plan also includes moving an additional 21 Pre-K classrooms into DPS schools to create a more seamless transition to DPS kindergarten. The programs were operated by DPS within district-authorized charter schools, Educational Achievement Authority schools, or buildings that are closing during the 2012-2013 school year.
Earlier this year, U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan released a report recommending pre-kindergarten programs for every poor student within 10 years. Just a few states make pre-K available to all 4-year-olds.
The Detroit district has been under state oversight since 2009. A budget deficit of more than $300 million has been pared to about $76 million.
New Preschool classrooms will be located at the following sites:
- Academy of the Americas
- Ann Arbor Trail
- Beard Early Childhood
- Bennett Elementary
- Brewer Elementary-Middle School
- Burton International Academy
- Carleton Elementary School
- Clemente, Roberto Academy
- Detroit International Academy for Young Women
- Douglass Academy for Young Men
- Durfee Elementary-Middle School
- Earhart Elementary-Middle School
- Emerson Elementary-Middle School
- Edison Elementary School
- Fleming Pre-K
- Golightly Education Center
- Maybury Elementary School
- Palmer Park Preparatory Academy
- Pulaski Elementary-Middle School
- Robeson, Paul-Malcolm X Academy (at Hally)
- Vernor Elementary School
- Wayne Elementary School
- Young, Coleman A. Elementary
- Adult Education Center – East
- Adult Education Center – West
The district is also creating five new Early Learning Neighborhood Centers at Beard, Emerson, Fleming, Golightly Education Center and Palmer Park Preparatory Academy.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.