DTE crews busy elsewhere as downed power line ignites, burns down Huron Township home

Firefighters helpless as live wire burns down home

By Nick Monacelli - Reporter

HURON TOWNSHIP, Mich. - A downed power line ignited a devastating fire at a home in Huron Township on King Road west of Middlebelt Road.

The wind knocked the wire down Wednesday evening and charged the home with electricity. The family inside was forced to evacuate.  The family, including two young girls ages 2 and 3 years old, rushed to get themselves and everything they could out of the burning house. 

DTE power outage update: More than 670K customers still without power

King Road is closed while fire crews remain on scene fighting the flames.

The fire started about 11 p.m. Wednesday. However, the fire department already was at the home because a fire started earlier in the day when a power line fell at the home next-door. Firefighters put that fire out but realized the pole might fall. It did fall about 11 p.m. and a small fire started. 

Firefighters knew it was a live wire, and DTE Energy said all of their crews were busy. Firefighters had to hope the home didn't catch on fire, but it did. 

Maggie Pockey, who lived in the home with her husband and children, couldn't believe this happened the way it did. 

"That's ridiculous. That happened at 11 o'clock and I put my kids to bed at 8:20, and now my house is gone," she said. "So, I think that's ridiculous."

Pockey said firefighters helped get her things out of the house. 

"They grabbed every picture frame off the wall, boxes of pictures for me, some of my kids' stuffed animals and clothes, as much as we could possibly grab. They were more than helpful," she said. 

Here is video of the flames: 

Stay with Local 4 and ClickOnDetroit for updates.

Sign up for ClickOnDetroit breaking news alerts and email newsletters

Copyright 2017 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.