DETROIT - The father of a missing 2-year-old Detroit girl has been charged with first-degree murder and first-degree child abuse.
Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy made the announcement Wednesday.
"During the investigation it was revealed that Bianca Jones was subjected to child abuse the day of her disappearance," Worthy said.
Bianca Jones hasn't been seen since Dec. 2.
Her father, D'Andre Lane has said he was carjacked while the girl was in the back seat. The car was recovered, but the girl was not in it.
Lane's house and car were searched by the FBI and a cadaver dog. Evidence was recovered.
Lane has publicly stuck to that story and denied wrongdoing, although police expressed doubt just days after he reported her missing. Volunteers have searched the city for any sign of the girl.
"Right now, they still have to prove their case," said defense attorney Terry Johnson. "Just because they don't believe Mr. Lane's story doesn't mean that it happened the way that they said it happened."
Local 4 also has learned that Lane was taken into custody earlier this week for a personal protection order violation, unrelated to the girl's disappearance. He was set to be transferred from the Oakland County Jail to Wayne County.
Copyright 2012 by ClickOnDetroit.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.