MACOMB TOWNSHIP, Mich. - Kim Mathers, the ex-wife of Detroit rapper Eminem, avoided standing trial for driving under the influence by pleading no contest Tuesday.
Mathers crashed in Macomb Township last October and was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving. Police believe the crash was a failed suicide attempt.
- Fall High School Theater Guide: Shows at schools throughout Metro Detroit
- Detroit man charged with murder in Hip Hop Shop shooting
- Green Party presidential nominee Jill Stein inserts voice into final debate
- Southfield woman charged in Highland Park crash that injured her 2 children
- Metro Detroit weather: Winds of change are blowing
Cellphone video shows the aftermath of the crash near 23 Mile and Card roads. Police and emergency personnel realized Mathers was in the upside-down SUV that hit a light pole just after noon.
"You know who it is?" an officer can be heard saying. "It's Kim Mathers. She's hammered."
According to the police report, Mathers told police she'd drank a fifth of Malibu rum and crashed the car on purpose.
As charges moved forward in April, the court case was sealed, leading many to wonder if she was getting special treatment. But after Local 4 obtained the dashcam video, the case was reopened to the public.
On Tuesday, Mathers decided to plead no contest and move on. Outside of court, Mathers and her attorney had very little to say.
"I just want to put this all behind me," she said.
Mathers is scheduled to be sentenced Nov. 22. Her lawyer said there are no terms to the plea.
Sign up for ClickOnDetroit Email Newsletters (click here) for more stories like this.
Copyright 2016 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.