Kim DeGiulio: Happy Friday Eve! Are you ready for the weekend? It looks like we have another warm summery weekend on tap. It should be perfect for the 25th annual dream cruise! Of course with the dream cruise comes some difficulty getting around Berkley, Ferndale, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Bloomfield Township and Pleasant Ridge. I’ll be talking about closures and ways to get around them.
I sure am looking forward to the weekend. Besides the Dream Cruise, I’m planning to go out to dinner with my mom and sister-in-law. Every Friday I try to go to a new restaurant and post pictures on my Instagram of the food using the hashtag #feedkimfriday.
I’ve been doing it for a couple of years now. For some reason I enjoy taking photos of food. Some dishes can be so pretty and I love how creative some restaurants can get with their presentation. I’m still trying to figure out where I’m going to eat tomorrow. Shoot me a message if you have any recommendations!
Have a great weekend!
Watch beginning at 4:30 a.m.
Here's what's coming up Friday, August 16th, 2019 on Local 4 News Today.
All Morning -- Friday and Beyond
Mostly cloudy on Friday with scattered showers and thunderstorms popping up once again in the afternoon. Highs in the low 80s. Showers are still possible overnight Friday night, with lows in the mid 60s. What about the weekend? We'll have it all covered for you.
- Get the full forecast here.
All Morning -- Weekend Construction
Summer around Metro Detroit is also construction season. With projects popping up all the time, it can be tough to keep track, but we got you covered! Kim DeGiulio will also help you prepare for the morning drive, including getting around the Dream Cruise traffic.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here.
6:10 a.m. - Fitness Friday: Weapons for Weight Loss
A local man lost nearly 100 pounds and he wants to share his secret for success with you! Our Kim DeGiulio takes us inside his Dearborn gym to workout with him.
6:40 a.m. - Your Neighborhood
We are going inside a church that has something very special happening. Evrod Cassimy will take you inside and show you how children and adults with special needs are getting special attention through art and music therapeutic programs.
- Myths about tooth cavities: Here's what you should know
- 2019 guide to southeast Michigan cider mill opening dates
- A trip Up North: Why doing nothing, for once, means everything
- Parties, dinners, and tours await you on these Detroit boat rides
Today's Trivia Retake
Every morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
Thursday Question: When was the Detroit Youth Choir founded?
Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: August 16th
- National Tell a Joke Day
- National Roller Coaster Day
- National Airborne Day
- National Rum Day
History Highl ights: August 16th
- In 1987, 156 people were killed when Northwest Airlines Flight 255 crashed while trying to take off from Detroit; the sole survivor was 4-year-old Cecelia Cichan (SHEE'-an).
- In 1812, Detroit fell to British and Indian forces in the War of 1812.
- In 1861, President Abraham Lincoln issued Proclamation 86, which prohibited the states of the Union from engaging in commercial trade with states that were in rebellion — i.e., the Confederacy.
- In 1948, baseball legend Babe Ruth died in New York at age 53.
- In 1954, Sports Illustrated was first published by Time Inc.
- In 1956, Adlai E. Stevenson was nominated for president at the Democratic National Convention in Chicago.
- In 1962, The Beatles fired their original drummer, Pete Best, replacing him with Ringo Starr.
- In 1977, Elvis Presley died at his Graceland estate in Memphis, Tennessee, at age 42.
- In 2008, At the Beijing Olympics, Michael Phelps touched the wall a hundredth of a second ahead of Serbia's Milorad Cavic (MEE'-loh-rahd KAH'-vihch) to win the 100-meter butterfly, giving Phelps his seventh gold medal of the Games, tying Mark Spitz's performance in the 1972 Munich Games.
- In 2008, Usain Bolt of Jamaica ran the 100-meter dash in a stunning world-record time of 9.69 seconds.
- In 2008, Talk show host Ellen DeGeneres and actress Portia de Rossi were married at their Beverly Hills home.
- In 2018, Aretha Franklin, the undisputed "Queen of Soul" who sang with matchless style on such classics as "Think," ''I Say a Little Prayer" and her signature song, "Respect," and stood as a cultural icon around the globe, died at age 76 from pancreatic cancer.
Celebrity Birthdays: August 16th
Celebrating a birthday Friday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 5 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- TV personality Kathie Lee Gifford is 66.
- Director James Cameron (”Titanic,” `’The Terminator”) is 65.
- Actress Laura Innes (”ER”) is 62.
- Actress Angela Bassett is 61.
- Singer Madonna is 61.
- Actor Steve Carell is 57.
- Country singer Emily Robison of The Dixie Chicks is 47.
- Rapper Young Thug is 28.
- Singer Greyson Chance is 22.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
- Morning Show section -- ClickOnDetroit.com/morning
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.