From Kim DeGiulio:
Hope you're all having a great week! It's been a busy week for me. My husband and I did one last "up north" weekend for the summer last weekend. Now we're gearing up for an anniversary getaway this weekend in California! I can't believe it's already been a year since we got married. I guess you could say time flies when you're having fun!
I'm so excited for our trip but that also means we are going to be missing some fun things happening around here this weekend. Of course there's Arts, Beats and Eats, which is always a blast. I'll be reporting live from there tomorrow. Then there's the Jazz fest downtown and you can't forget about Michigan's home opener is Saturday night! Brandon was predicting a few showers for Saturday night so hopefully they hit after the game.
I hope you all have a wonderful and safe Labor Day weekend and if you have Monday off, I hope you enjoy it!
Here's what's coming up Friday, August 30, 2019 on Local 4 News Today.
All Morning -- Wet Start, Amazing Finish
Friday looks wonderful for all of SE Lower Michigan and Southern Ontario as we start the Labor Day Weekend. Morning lows in the 60s after some early morning showers, which end well before sunrise tomorrow. So, most of your Friday is a dry day with sunshine returning and highs in the mid to upper 70s and a few of you hitting 80°F again.
All Morning -- Labor Day Travel
The unofficial end of summer is here and that means plenty of people will be trying to squeeze in one last vacation. Millions are expected to hit the roads. We'll help you navigate all the construction across the state.
All Morning -- Arts, Beats & Eats
It's Oakland County's biggest party and it's happening this weekend. Kim DeGiulio will be live in Royal Oak all morning previewing the art, the music and the food (it's Feed Kim Friday after all!)
6:40 a.m. -- Back-to-School: Product Test
All week, we're testing out products that claim to make the school year easier. Friday, Evrod Cassimy tests out backpacks that look to help students stay plugged in by keeping their devices charged up. See if it's a wise investment.
- Northern Lights could be visible in Michigan this weekend: How to see them
- Detroit Youth Choir goes to 'America's Got Talent' semifinals
- These RV parks offer more than your typical camping trip
- TSA bans Star Wars Coke bottles from Disney
Today's Trivia Retake
Every morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
Thursday Question: When was "Star Wars: A New Hope" released in theatres?
Answer: May 25, 1977
Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: August 30th
- National Toasted Marshmallow Day
- National College Colors Day
- National Grief Awareness Day
History Highlights: August 30th
- In 1862, Confederate forces won victories against the Union at the Second Battle of Bull Run in Manassas, Virginia, and the Battle of Richmond in Kentucky.
- In 1967, the Senate confirmed the appointment of Thurgood Marshall as the first black justice on the U.S. Supreme Court.
- In 1983, Guion S. Bluford Jr. became the first black American astronaut to travel in space as he blasted off aboard the Challenger.
- In 1984, the space shuttle Discovery was launched on its inaugural flight.
- In 1997, Americans received word of the car crash in Paris that claimed the lives of Princess Diana, her boyfriend, Dodi Fayed, and their driver, Henri Paul. (Because of the time difference, it was August 31 where the crash occurred.)
Celebrity Birthdays: August 30th
Celebrating a birthday Friday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 5 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Singer Bebe Rexha turns 29
- Actress Cameron Diaz turns 46
- Billionaire Warren Buffett turns 88
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
- Morning Show section -- ClickOnDetroit.com/morning
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.