Jason Carr: As I get ready to fly away on a jet plane for some R & R, I’m reminded of travel back in the day. That’s when your average 727 had seats that looked like curtains from the set of the Brady Bunch, the stewardesses handed out raggedy copies of Newsweek and People, and three rows back was the smoking section. How do you have a smoking section on a pressurized airplane? Anyway, I’d pay extra on my flight today if I could have the Chicken Kiev they used to serve on Delta circa 1978, courtesy of a food service called Dobbs (look it up). That my family routinely recoiled from $13 club sandwiches in the concourse cafeteria (a place so nice the sign was a knife-and-fork pictogram) only made the Kiev de Cluck all the more delectable. If you’re not hip the chicken dish I speak of is a processed blob-loaf that happens to contain a buttery center, so that when you cut into it, it was like “Release the Flavor Kraken!” Wash that down with a nice cold Fresca or Tab then tackle the rice side dish soaking up the butter overflow. Great—now I’m hungry.
Watch beginning at 4:30 a.m.
Here's what's coming up Friday, July 12th, 2019 on Local 4 News Today.
All Morning -- Weekend Weather
Friday looks gorgeous with highs in the upper 70s to low 80s under another nice blend of sun and clouds without the humidity.
The weekend looks nice as well -- but there are some rain chances. Brandon Roux will track it for you.
- You can get the full forecast here.
All Morning -- Weekend Traffic
Another Pure Michigan weekend brings more construction projects around town. Our Kim DeGiulio will help you get around any potential trouble on the roads all morning.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here.
6:10 a.m. -- Fitness Friday: Rock Climbing
We're hitting the rock wall one last time for Fitness Friday. If you've tried it and think you've got skills, we've got a new test for you! Our Kim DeGiulio will try some of the more advanced techniques.
- Try rock climbing at Planet Rock in Ann Arbor
- Fitness Friday: Rock climbing at Planet Rock
- Fitness Friday: Hang boards
6:40 a.m. -- Your Neighborhood
They're providing something much needed for schools and students all across Metro Detroit. Our Evrod Cassimy will take us inside the "We are Here Foundation" to see how they're helping classroom after classroom.
- Detroit Pistons kick off weekend of events with day of service
- Olympic skier Bode Miller pushes for pool safety after drowning death of young daughter
- Brides scrambling to find dresses after Bella Rose Bridal Boutique suddenly closes
- Where to find the best fudge in Metro Detroit
Today's Trivia Retake
Every morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Thursday Question: When did 7-Eleven start giving away free Slurpees on 7/11?
- Answer: 2002
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: July 12th
- National Simplicity Day
- National Different Colored Eyes Day
- National Pecan Pie Day
- Paper Bag Day
- Eat Your Jello Day
- Collector Car Appreciation Day
A Look Back at History: July 12th
- In 1862, during the Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln signed a bill authorizing the Army Medal of Honor.
- In 1957, President Dwight D. Eisenhower was flown by helicopter from the White House to a secret mountaintop location as part of a drill involving a mock nuclear attack on Washington.
- In 1960, the Etch A Sketch Magic Screen drawing toy, invented by French electrician Andre Cassagnes, was first produced by the Ohio Art Co.
- In 1962, The Rolling Stones played their first-ever gig at The Marquee in London.
- In 1977, President Jimmy Carter defended Supreme Court limits on government payments for poor women’s abortions, saying, “There are many things in life that are not fair.”
- In 1984, Democratic presidential candidate Walter F. Mondale announced his choice of U.S. Rep. Geraldine A. Ferraro of New York to be his running-mate; Ferraro was the first woman to run for vice president on a major-party ticket.
Celebrity Birthdays: July 12th
Celebrating a birthday Friday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 5 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Singer Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac is 76.
- Fitness guru Richard Simmons is 71.
- Actress Cheryl Ladd (“Charlie’s Angels”) is 68.
- Gospel singer Sandi Patty is 63.
- Singer Robin Wilson of the Gin Blossoms is 54.
- Actress Natalie Desselle Reid (“Madea’s Big Happy Family,” TV: “Eve”) is 52.
- Country singer Shannon Lawson is 46.
- Singer Tracie Spencer is 43.
- Actor Topher Grace (“That ’70s Show”) is 41.
- Actress Michelle Rodriguez (“The Fast and The Furious” films, “Lost”) is 41.
- Singer-guitarist Kimberly Perry of The Band Perry is 36.
- Actress Rachel Brosnahan (“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel,” ″House of Cards”) is 29.
- Actor Erik Per Sullivan (“Malcolm in the Middle”) is 28.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
- Morning Show section -- ClickOnDetroit.com/morning
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.