From the desk of Jason Carr:
I would like to think I'm a decent dude. I promote dog rescues and charitable causes. I champion local businesses. I try my best to be polite in public and to the public.
But I am decidedly not President Jimmy Carter.
In case you missed it, President Carter has quietly gone about being an ex-POTUS in the most unassuming, genial, caring and all-around excellent ways possible. The 95 year-old(!) has had some health setbacks, including stitches from a recent mishap, and all he does is just get right back to work building habitat houses. I never see him on book tours or collecting six-figure sums for a speech to fat cats. He's just reliably…there. Our most humble former Commander-in-Chief, now commanding attention from social media—for all the right reasons. What a good man.
Here's what's coming up on Friday, October 11, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- Friday and the Weekend
We will not be as cool Friday morning, waking up in the low to mid 50s with slightly cooler numbers away from Downtown Detroit. The clouds will continue to fill in and so will the humidity. We should hit highs in the lower 70s with partly sunny skies and dry conditions all the way through dinner time. Computer models once held the rain off until after midnight but it looks like some rain and isolated thundershowers will move in after 8 or 9 p.m. This could have a slight impact on some of your evening plans, including area high school football games so stay tuned as we will continue to update you on that rain timing.
- Get the full forecast here
All Morning -- Weekend Construction
The weekend is almost here but there won't be any rest for construction crews. They'll be busy fixing roads across Metro Detroit. Kim DeGiulio will help us get around the orange barrels.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
6:10 a.m. -- Fitness Friday
So you ran a marathon or a 5K ... Now what? Rhonda goes to the running experts to show us what everyone should do after a big run ... like the Detroit Free Press Marathon coming up on October 20th.
6:40 a.m. -- Your Neighborhood
Evrod Cassimy is introducing us to a local high school student who is now pursuing a career in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) all thanks to one local non-profit. We'll go inside that organization and show you how they're introducing students to new career paths.
- Factors you should consider when thinking about getting a joint replacement
- Metro Detroit coyote sightings on the rise: 'I saw them'
- Registration now open for the 2019 Strategic Staffing Solutions Turkey Trot
- Michigan REAL ID deadline: What you should know about application
Today's Trivia Retake
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Thursday Question: Which branch of the U.S. military was established on this day in 1845 in Annapolis, Maryland?
- Answer: The U.S. Naval Academy
Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: October 11th
- International Day of the Girl Child
- National Sausage Pizza Day
- National Coming Out Day
- General Pulaski Memorial Day
History Highlights: October 11th
- In 1809, just over three years after the famous Lewis and Clark expedition ended, Meriwether Lewis was found dead in a Tennessee inn, an apparent suicide; he was 35.
- In 1884, American first lady Eleanor Roosevelt was born in New York City.
- In 1910, Theodore Roosevelt became the first former U.S. president to fly in an airplane during a visit to St. Louis.
- In 1958, the lunar probe Pioneer 1 was launched; it failed to go as far out as planned, fell back to Earth, and burned up in the atmosphere.
- In 1968, Apollo 7, the first manned Apollo mission, was launched with astronauts Wally Schirra, Donn Fulton Eisele and R. Walter Cunningham aboard.
- In 1983, the last full-fledged hand-cranked telephone system in the United States went out of service as 440 telephone customers in Bryant Pond, Maine, were switched over to direct-dial service.
- In 2002, former President Jimmy Carter was named the recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Celebrity Birthdays: October 11th
Celebrating a birthday Friday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actor Ron Leibman is 82.
- Singer Daryl Hall of Hall and Oates is 73.
- Actress Joan Cusak is 57.
- Actor Sean Patrick Flanery is 54.
- Actor Jane Krakowski is 51.
- Rapper U-God of Wu-Tang Clan is 47.
Let to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
- Morning Show section -- ClickOnDetroit.com/morning
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.