Evrod Cassimy: There are so many amazing people and groups doing so many great things across our area. Often times, they don't get the recognition they deserve. That's where we come in! Over the last several weeks, we've been featuring great groups, doing incredible things for people, places and more across Metro Detroit. These outstanding people should be celebrated, and we need your help to make that happen. So, let us know about them, and we could feature them on Local 4 News Today in our "Your Neighborhood" segment.
Just recently I interviewed one local woman who found help getting a job from one local non-profit. In fact, the organization provided her with the perfect job-hunting outfit and a couple of outfits for when she found work all free of charge. If you’re not familiar, Alison Vaughn started the non-profit Jackets for Jobs nearly 20 years ago and has so many success stories. That’s what makes my Your Neighborhood segment so special. It’s people helping people.
Here are some of our "Your Neighborhood" segments:
- Kiwanis Shorewood Club in St. Clair Shores dedicated to helping children
- FAR Therapeutic Arts and Recreation helps people with special needs in Metro Detroit
- Ribbons of Hope: Sisters create comfort boxes for people battling diseases
- Kids on the Go provides free therapy for Metro Detroit children with special needs
Be sure to tune in every Friday at 6:40 a.m. on Local 4 News Today to see more of these segments. We'll see you in the morning!
Here's what's coming up on Monday, September 9, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- Rain Chances
Monday and Tuesday become warmer with highs closer to 80 degrees and a chance of showers. The Local 4Casters will be monitoring the conditions so you know what to expect when you head out.
- Get the full forecast here
Kim DeGiulio will also be tracking traffic trouble spots around town.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
All Morning -- Lions Season Opener Recap
Are you ready for some football!? The Lions are kicking off their season Sunday in Arizona against the Cardinals. The Lions are favored to win by 2 1/2 points. We'll recap the game when you wake up.
6:10 -- Money Monday: Medicaid
It's an important topic, but it can be confusing. Thankfully, Local 4 Business Editor Rod Meloni is here to help. He'll layout everything you need to know about long-term care and Medicaid.
- Money Monday: Understanding Medigap coverage
- Money Monday: Medicare Advantage
- Here's what Medicare Part A covers, what it doesn't
- Social Security study: What you need to know
6:40 -- School Bus Safety
School busses stopping to pick up and drop off precious cargo, so why are so many drivers ignoring the flashing lights? Local 4 Defender Karen Drew takes an alarming look at this dangerous trend and what's being done to keep your kids safe.
- Handheld clothes steamers put to the test
- VIDEO: Local 4 Anchors/Reporters wear purple for Detroit Youth Choir
- Vitamin E chemical a ‘key focus' in vaping illness investigation
- Get that 'Downton Abbey' experience at this Metro Detroit spot
Today's Trivia Retake
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Friday Question: When did the Cardinals become the Arizona Cardinals?
- Answer: 1994
Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: September 9th
- National Teddy Bear Day
- Care Bears Share Your Care Day
- National Wiener Schnitzel Day
- National Boss/Employee Exchange Day
History Highlights: September 9th
- In 1776, the second Continental Congress made the term “United States” official, replacing “United Colonies.”
- In 1948, the People’s Democratic Republic of Korea (North Korea) was declared.
- In 1956, Elvis Presley made the first of three appearances on “The Ed Sullivan Show.”
- In 1957, President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed the first civil rights bill to pass Congress since Reconstruction, a measure primarily concerned with protecting voting rights and which also established a Civil Rights Division in the U.S. Department of Justice.
- In 1991, boxer Mike Tyson was indicted in Indianapolis on a charge of raping Desiree Washington, a beauty pageant contestant. (Tyson was convicted and ended up serving three years of a six-year prison sentence.)
Celebrity Birthdays: September 9th
Celebrating a birthday Monday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actor Hugh Grant is 59.
- Actor-comedian Adam Sandler is 53.
- Model Rachel Hunter is 50.
- Actor Goran Visnjic (“ER”) is 47.
- Jazz singer Michael Buble is 44.
- Country singer Hunter Hayes is 28.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
- Morning Show section -- ClickOnDetroit.com/morning
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.