Larry Spruill: August 4, 2019 around 3:30 a.m. I got the call from one of my Executive Producers, there was a shooting in Dayton. At that time, we didn’t know the magnitude of it. We report on shootings often in our news business, but as the morning continued, the numbers increased. We first heard 2 dead, 12 injured, then 4 dead, 14 injured.. Now as I sit here in Dayton, Ohio, writing this blog. The numbers are 9 dead, 27 injured. Heartbreaking.
Yesterday, the city held a prayer vigil, and thousands of people packed Downtown Dayton, I honestly can say, that prayer vigil was the toughest and most emotional prayer vigil I’ve ever covered.
If I can be honest with you, my heart is heavy right now. I just wonder, silently, when will this stop? This can’t be the norm.
I talked to dozens of people here in Dayton, Ohio. Many are sad, many are crying, many are just in a daze, like this is a nightmare they just can’t wake up from. I talked to family members who lost their loves, outside Ned Peppers Sunday morning. I don’t have any words for them, I just honestly gave them a hug and listened.
But as the people here in Dayton say, ‘Dayton will be strong again.’ So as I close this blog, I leave you with the words #DAYTONSTRONG
Watch beginning at 4:30 a.m.
Here's what's coming up Tuesday, August 6th, 2019 on Local 4 News Today.
All Morning -- Warm & Muggy Forecast
Tuesday will be warm and muggy with more scattered rain and thunderstorms. High temperatures may be a little cooler tomorrow due to cloud cover and a few showers, but the humidity keeps pouring in, which means mid 80s will feel more like 90°F tomorrow.
Again, the better bet for showers and storms will be in the peak heat of the afternoon and early evening.
- Get the full forecast here.
Our Kim DeGiulio is monitoring the roads so you know before you go.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here.
All Morning -- Deadly Mass Shootings
As Larry mentioned in his blog, these shootings are nothing short of heartbreaking. As every hour passes, more information is released on the victims and the investigation. While you're sleeping overnight, we'll be monitoring the situation in both Ohio and Texas. Wake up with us for the very latest information.
6:40 a.m. -- Rental Scam Alert
Scammers are stealing big deposits and leaving you with no place to stay. We're talking with experts so you don't become their next victim. We'll show you the warning signs to watch out for.
6:45 a.m. -- Tasty Tuesday: Food Truck Month!
We've featured hundreds of brick-and-mortar restaurants across Metro Detroit throughout the years. Now, we're spending the entire month of August on restaurants on four wheels! There are so many incredible options for hungry people around town, so come along for a delicious ride with us.
- Money Monday: Here's what Medicare Part A covers, what it doesn't
- Kids on the Go provides free therapy for Metro Detroit children with special needs
- Zingerman's Candy celebrates 10th birthday with charity event
- Here's how to have a successful garage sale
Today's Trivia Retake
Every morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
Monday Question: What number draft pick was Tom Brady?
Answer: 199 in the 6th round in 2000.
Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: August 6th
- National Root Beer Float Day
- National Fresh Breath Day
- National Wiggle Your Toes Day
- National Night Out Day
History Highlights: August 6th
- In 1926, Gertrude Ederle became the first woman to swim the English Channel, arriving in Kingsdown, England, from France in 14 1/2 hours.
- In 1962, Jamaica, formerly ruled by Britain, became an independent dominion within the Commonwealth of Nations.
- In 1965, President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Voting Rights Act.
- In 1978, Pope Paul VI died at Castel Gandolfo at age 80.
- In 2003, actor Arnold Schwarzenegger used an appearance on NBC’s “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno” to announce his successful bid to replace California Gov. Gray Davis.
- In 2009, Sonia Sotomayor was confirmed as the first Hispanic Supreme Court justice by a Senate vote of 68-31.
Celebrity Birthdays: August 6th
Celebrating a birthday Tuesday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 5 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actor-director Peter Bonerz is 81.
- Actress Louise Sorel (”Days of Our Lives”) is 79.
- Actress Catherine Hicks (”Seventh Heaven”) is 68.
- Singer Randy DeBarge of DeBarge is 61.
- Writer-director M. Night Shyamalan (”The Sixth Sense”) is 49.
- Actress Merrin Dungey (”Summerland,” “Alias”) is 48.
- Singer Geri Halliwell Horner of Spice Girls is 47.
- Actress Vera Farmiga (”Up in the Air,” “The Departed”) is 46.
- Actress Soleil Moon Frye (”Sabrina The Teenage Witch,” “Punky Brewster”) is 43.
- Singer Travis McCoy of Gym Class Heroes is 38.
- Actor Leslie Odom Jr. is 38.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
- Morning Show section -- ClickOnDetroit.com/morning
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.