Evrod Cassimy: It's a new week, and we have a chance to start fresh and carpe that diem. 😉 I had the most relaxing weekend. My wife and I chose to stay home and just be with the family the entire weekend. From movies, to TV shows, to card games to basketball and a lot of take out, we had a blast! There's no place like home right? We ended the weekend with a family photo shoot for our Christmas cards this year. Have you ever tried getting a very active two year old to say cheese hundreds of times? Yeah, not easy. But they turned out great! I can't wait for the holidays!
As we start the work and school week, we are now on day 22 of the UAW strike against GM. We talked about that on the morning show today as we certainly hope for a resolution soon. Unfortunately over the weekend we are hearing that the talks hit a major road bump.
Next up is Tasty Tuesday and for once I know NOTHING about the restaurant coming in. This should be a fun surprise! I actually like it that way sometimes as it's like Christmas Day when a really cool restaurant comes on the show that I've never heard of. I certainly hope you'll wake up with us Tuesday morning. We're on from 4:30-7am! Tune in cause you know that they say? Miss a day, miss a lot!
Here's what's coming up on Tuesday, October 8, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- Nice Stretch
Brandon Roux: It's a nice stretch of weather Tuesday through most of the week ahead with sunshine and no threats for rain for several days. Morning lows will be in the 40s first thing Tuesday and highs will be in the upper 60s under mostly sunny skies and lighter winds ESE 5-10 mph.
Again, we have a shot at 70°F and with these conditions, we are setting ourselves up for some beautiful foliage this year. It's key to have cool overnights, and sunshine during the day to get the most of our leaves changing and falling.
- Get the full forecast here
All Morning -- Orange Barrel Alert
Get ready for even more work for the big I-75 project in Oakland County. Kim DeGiulio will help us get around the orange barrels.
- MORE: Rebuilding of northbound I-75 ramps to Big Beaver Road begins
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
6:40 a.m. -- The Great Allowance Debate
How much is too much to pay your children for doing chores? And, is it really a good idea at all? Experts weigh in on the great allowance debate.
6:45 a.m. -- Tasty Tuesday: Pizza Month
Pizza Month continues here on Local 4! Every Tuesday this morning we'll be featuring great local spots. This week, we're taking you to a great spot in Westland that has stuffed pizza, deep dish and even crustless pies!
- Nonprofit organization introduces theater culture to residents in Downtown Detroit
- Ginger ale: Does it really help cure your stomach ache?
- Photographer, newlyweds desperate to find stolen laptop with wedding photos
- UAW-GM strike: Following updates on day 22
Today's Trivia Retake
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Monday Question: Who was the last Red Wing to score 4 goals in a game?
- Answer: Johan Franzen
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: October 8th
- National Fluffernutter Day
- National Pierogi Day
- American Touch Tag Day
History Highlights: October 8th
- In 1871, the Great Chicago Fire erupted; fires also broke out in Peshtigo, Wisconsin, and in several communities in Michigan.
- In 1956, Don Larsen pitched the only perfect game in a World Series to date as the New York Yankees beat the Brooklyn Dodgers in Game 5, 2-0.
- In 1982, all labor organizations in Poland, including Solidarity, were banned.
- 1998, the House triggered an open-ended impeachment inquiry against President Bill Clinton in a momentous 258-176 vote; 31 Democrats joined majority Republicans in opening the way for nationally televised impeachment hearings.
- In 2002, A federal judge approved President George W. Bush's request to reopen West Coast ports, ending a 10-day labor lockout that was costing the U.S. economy an estimated $1 to $2 billion a day.
- In 2017, Harvey Weinstein was fired from The Weinstein Company amid allegations that he was responsible for decades of sexual harassment against actresses and employees.
- In 2017, Vice President Mike Pence left the 49ers-Colts game in Indianapolis after about a dozen San Francisco players took a knee during the national anthem; Pence tweeted that he wouldn't "dignify any event that disrespects our soldiers, our Flag or our National Anthem."
Celebrity Birthdays: October 8th
Celebrating a birthday Tuesday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actor Paul Hogan is 80.
- Actor-comedian Chevy Chase is 76.
- Author R.L. Stine ("Goosebumps") is 76.
- Actress Sigourney Weaver is 70.
- Actor Michael Dudikoff is 65.
- Comedian Darrell Hammond ("Saturday Night Live") is 64.
- Actress Kim Wayans ("In the House," "In Living Color") is 58.
- Singer CeCe Winans is 55.
- Bassist C.J. Ramone of The Ramones is 54.
- Actress Karyn Parsons ("The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air") is 53.
- Actor-screenwriter Matt Damon is 49.
- Actor Nick Cannon is 39.
- Singer-songwriter Bruno Mars is 34.
- Actress Bella Thorne (TV's "Shake It Up," film "Midnight Sun") is 22.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
- Morning Show section -- ClickOnDetroit.com/morning
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.