Evrod Cassimy: Happy start of your week! This week is extra special to me because Tuesday is my birthday!! I'm turning the big 3-5 and life just got really real. This past weekend was extra special as well. My wife and I went out on the town to celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary Saturday! We started the night out with dinner at Fleming's in Birmingham. Then we went downtown Detroit to lounge at Monarch Club. If you haven't been, it has the most amazing views of the downtown area. You've gotta check it out!
We finished the night by walking over to the ice cream stand on John R and Woodward for two waffle cones. It was such a relaxing night. I posted pictures from the night on my Instagram page.
On Friday, I hosted Southwest Solutions annual Celebration of Impact Gala. They raised more than $500,000 for the non-profit. I presented awards to Senator Carl Levin and to the dearly departed Judge Damon Keith. His niece accepted the award on his behalf. I also performed a special song to kick of the event after party. I sang a duet with Danielle Bishop from the band Mainstreet Soul. You can watch on my Instagram as well. Also attending the event was Senators Rashida Tlaib, Debbie Stabenow and Debbie Dingell.
Tomorrow on the show for Tasty Tuesday we are back to people food after highlighting places that make food for dogs. You'll have to tune in from 4:30-7am to see the restaurant featured and get the special deal offered. See you in the morning!
See you in the morning!
Here's what's coming up on Tuesday, September 17, 2019 on Local 4 News Today
All Morning -- Back to Sunshine
Skies will stay mostly cloudy through the early morning hours with lows Tuesday in the upper 50s to low 60s. Have no fear, we do get the sunshine back Tuesday. Skies will go from partly to mostly sunny as we try to warm up, but the humidity will take a dive and highs should hold in the upper 70s with more and more sunshine mixed with a few clouds coming and going and a gentle breeze ENE 5-10 mph.
- Get the full forecast here
Kim DeGiulio will also be watching the roads for us all morning. She'll have any construction updates and traffic trouble spots for the weekend.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here
All Morning -- DYC Returns to AGT Stage
The Detroit Youth Choir will return to the America's Got Talent stage Tuesday night. We're all SO excited for their chance to win it all. Our Kimberly Gill will be there with DYC as they prepare. We'll get exclusive access to them before their big performance. Plus, see the cool ways Detroit is honoring this talented bunch.
- Detroit Youth Choir's message to Detroit from Hollywood, California
- Detroit Youth Choir in 'AGT' finals: How to watch and vote
All Morning -- UAW-GM strike: Negotiations underway
The UAW strike against General Motors began at 11:59 p.m. Sunday. Picket lines have formed outside of plants. The UAW says its roughly 49,000 members are on strike. The UAW said workers are striking to secure fair wages, affordable healthcare, their share of profits, job security and a defined path to permanent seniority for temp workers. We'll have live coverage as negotiations continue between General Motors and the UAW.
6:40 -- Tasty Tuesday
A local man is keeping his grandfather's dream alive in Ann Arbor, 60 years later. Plus, they're serving up something called "Cajun bacon dust." We'll try it all out for Tasty Tuesday.
- Ford issues safety recall for more than 330K Explorer vehicles
- Ric Ocasek, lead singer of The Cars, found dead at 75 years old
- Universoul Circus comes to Aretha Franklin Amphitheatre in Detroit
- Pac-12 acknowledges officiating error in Michigan State's loss
Today's Trivia Retake
Every weekday morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Monday Question: What was the original use for Play-Doh?
- Answer:Wallpaper cleaner
Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: September 17th
- National Professional House Cleaners Day
- National Apple Dumpling Day
- Constitution Day and Citizenship Day
- National Monte Cristo Day
- National IT Professionals Day
History Highlights: September 17th
- In 1920, the American Professional Football Association — a precursor of the National Football League — was formed in Canton, Ohio.
- In 1964, the James Bond movie "Goldfinger," starring Sean Connery, premiered in London.
- In 1964, the fantasy sitcom "Bewitched," starring Elizabeth Montgomery, debuted on TV.
- In 1971, citing health reasons, Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black, 85, retired. (Black, who was succeeded by Lewis F. Powell Jr., died eight days after making his announcement.)
- In 1987, the city of Philadelphia, birthplace of the U.S. Constitution, threw a big party to celebrate the 200th anniversary of the historic document; in a speech at Independence Hall, President Ronald Reagan acclaimed the framing of the Constitution as a milestone "that would profoundly and forever alter not just these United States but the world."
- In 1996, former Vice President Spiro T. Agnew died in Berlin, Maryland, at age 77.
- In 1999, President Bill Clinton lifted restrictions on trade, travel and banking imposed on North Korea a half-century earlier, rewarding it for agreeing to curb missile tests.
- In 2001, Six days after 9/11, stock prices nosedived but stopped short of collapse in an emotional, flag-waving reopening of Wall Street; the Dow Jones industrial average ended the day down 684.81 at 8,920.70.
- In 2011, a demonstration calling itself Occupy Wall Street began in New York, prompting similar protests around the U.S. and the world.
Celebrity Birthdays: September 17th
Celebrating a birthday Tuesday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 6 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actress Elvira is 68.
- Comedian Rita Rudner is 66.
- Rapper Doug E. Fresh is 53.
- Singer Anastacia is 51.
- Rapper Vinnie of Naughty By Nature is 49.
- Actor Billy Miller ("General Hospital," "The Young and the Restless") is 40.
- Gospel singer Jonathan McReynolds is 30.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
- Morning Show section -- ClickOnDetroit.com/morning
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.