Rhonda Walker: LEFTIES UNITE!!! Tuesday was Lefthanders' Day -- so happy Lefthanders' Day to all my fellow lefties our there. It's crazy...both my parents are righthanded and somehow my older brother and I came out lefties. And in addition to being excited about our special day, you know what we say on the morning show "Miss a Day Miss a Lot" well in case you missed the LOBSTER FOOD TRUCK for Tasty Tuesday. Owner Chef Nick showed up on the plaza at the Local 4 studio downtown and totally made our day with fried lobster bites, lobster tacos, lobster rolls and more all before 7 a.m.! Everything tastes amazing.You can always check on their location here.
Next up for Wednesday, I introduce you to two new outstanding youth for my Brag Book and if you have an incredible young person you would like to nominate click here. See you when you wake up!
Watch beginning at 4:30 a.m.
Here's what's coming up Wednesday, August 14th, 2019 on Local 4 News Today.
All Morning -- More Rain Chances
Partly cloudy to start on Wednesday, then scattered showers are possible during the mid to late afternoon period. Highs near 80 degrees.
Partly cloudy Wednesday night, with lows in the low 60s (16 to 17 degrees Celsius).
- Get the full forecast here.
Kim DeGiulio will help you prepare for the morning drive.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here.
All Morning -- Rhonda's Brag Book
Do you know a young person who is really making a difference in our community? A standout student, volunteer, star athlete - or all around incredible person?
Submit their information on ClickOnDetroit and they could land in Rhonda Walker's brag book! As Rhonda mentioned, she'll show off two incredible students Wednesday.
6:10 a.m. - Pet of the Week
Every Wednesday, we feature a pet from a shelter from across Metro Detroit. Here's a sneak peek of who you'll meet Wednesday morning. We'll also share information on how you can adopt this dog and others.
6:40 a.m. - Wellness Wednesday: Cavities
More than 90% of adults have cavities and many kids do, too. But do you know why we really get them? Dr. Frank McGeorge is busting some common myths about cavities and what causes them.
- Day fishing trip: Visit Spring Valley Trout Farm in Dexter
- National Coney Island hosting weekly hiring fairs in August in SE Michigan
- Oakland County sheriff asking public to be vigilant during Woodward Dream Cruise
- DNR confirms cougar sighting in Northern Michigan
Today's Trivia Retake
Every morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
Tuesday Question: Who was the most recent left-handed president?
Answer: Barack Obama
Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: August 14th
- National V-J Day
- National Creamsicle Day
History Highl ights: August 14th
- 1848 - The Oregon Territory was established.
- 1945 - President Harry S. Truman announced that Japan had surrendered unconditionally, ending World War II.
- 1947 - Pakistan became independent of British rule.
- 1973 - U.S. bombing of Cambodia came to a halt.
- 1980 - President Jimmy Carter and Vice President Walter Mondale were nominated for a second term at the Democratic National Convention in New York.
- 1996 - The Republican National Convention in San Diego nominated Bob Dole for president and Jack Kemp for vice president.
- 1997 - Timothy McVeigh was sentenced to death for the Oklahoma City bombing.
- 2003 - A blackout hit the northeastern United States and part of Canada; 50 million people lost power.
- 2009 - Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, a Charles Manson follower who tried to assassinate President Gerald Ford in 1975, was released from a Texas prison hospital after more than three decades behind bars.
Celebrity Birthdays: August 14th
Celebrating a birthday Wednesday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 5 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Singer David Crosby is 78.
- Country singer Connie Smith is 78.
- Actor-musician Steve Martin is 74.
- Actor Antonio Fargas (”Starsky and Hutch”) is 73.
- Actress Susan St. James is 73.
- Actor David Schramm (”Wings”) is 73.
- Romance novelist Danielle Steel is 72.
- Cartoonist Gary Larson (”The Far Side”) is 69.
- Actress Jackee Harry (”Sister, Sister,” `’227”) is 63.
- Actress Susan Olsen (”The Brady Bunch”) is 58.
- Actress Halle Berry is 53.
- Actress Mila Kunis is 36.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
- Morning Show section -- ClickOnDetroit.com/morning
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.