We're all excited here on the Local 4 News Today team! After nearly 2 months off, Rhonda Walker returns to the show on Thursday. Recently, our team sat down with Rhonda at the Detroit Yacht Club for some good coffee and great conversation. We talked about her surgery, her recovery, her new outlook on life and more. You'll hear from Rhonda Wednesday morning. Then, at 5pm and 11pm, you'll see our full conversations with her. At 5pm, she talks about being off for that extended period of time and what it was like not feeling like herself. Then, at 11pm, she'll talk about the moment she realized she needed to see the doctor and the message she hopes others learn from her. That's Wednesday on Local 4 -- before she returns to our team Thursday! Hope you'll join us!
Watch beginning at 4:30 a.m.
Here's what's coming up Wednesday, July 17th, 2019 on Local 4 News Today.
All Morning -- Weather & Traffic on the 4s
Some of the heaviest rain from Barry may come overnight, and into early Wednesday morning. We may see a good half inch soaking or more in spots on Wednesday morning and then more scattered showers into the afternoon.
If the rain breaks after lunch, we may see highs back in the mid and upper 80s, but it all depends on how quickly the clouds break after morning showers.
- You can get the full forecast here.
Our Kim DeGiulio will help you get around any potential trouble on the roads all morning.
- Check traffic conditions in your neighborhood here.
All Morning -- Amazon Prime Day Wraps Up
Amazon Prime Day wraps up 3 a.m. Wednesday. In the morning, we'll take a look at the top sellers and if the online gaint had any issues during the mega sale. Some workers kicked off the days of deals by protesting.
- Why some Amazon workers are going on strike on Prime Day
- Amazon Prime Day 2019: What to expect and how to prepare
All Morning -- Rhonda's Brag Book
Message from Rhonda: Last summer I launched Rhonda's Brag Book, a weekly morning show segment that highlights local students excelling in academics, sports, entrepreneurship, community service and overcoming obstacles. Wednesday morning we'll spotlight two more awesome and incredible students!
6:45 a.m. -- Wellness Wednesday: Dangerous Heat
The temperatures are rising. Are you ready for the extreme heat? Dr. Frank McGeorge will have the four red flags you need to know to keep your family safe.
- Tasty Tuesday: Lettuce
- Take a day trip to Greenfield Village
- Detroit no longer front runner for MLS team
- Social Security study: What you need to know
Today's Trivia Retake
Every morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- TuesdayQuestion: Who was the sitting president when the United States landed on the Moon?
- Answer: Richard Nixon
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: July 17th
- National Lottery Day
- National Peach Ice Cream Day
- National Tattoo Day
- Wrong Way Corrigan Day
- National Yellow Pig Day
- World Emoji Day
- National Hot Dog Day
A Look Back at History: July 17th
- In 1821, Spain ceded Florida to the United States.
- In 1936, the Spanish Civil War began as right-wing army generals launched a coup attempt against the Second Spanish Republic.
- In 1938, aviator Douglas Corrigan took off from New York, saying he was headed for California; he ended up in Ireland, supposedly by accident, earning the nickname “Wrong Way Corrigan.”
- In 1955, Disneyland had its opening day in Anaheim, California.
- In 1975, an Apollo spaceship docked with a Soyuz spacecraft in orbit in the first superpower link-up of its kind.
- In 1996, TWA Flight 800, a Europe-bound Boeing 747, exploded and crashed off Long Island, New York, shortly after departing John F. Kennedy International Airport, killing all 230 people on board.
- In 1997, Woolworth Corp. announced it was closing its 400 remaining five-and-dime stores across the country, ending 117 years in business.
- In 2014, all 298 passengers and crew aboard Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 were killed when the Boeing 777 was shot down over rebel-held eastern Ukraine.
Celebrity Birthdays: July 17th
Celebrating a birthday Wednesday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 5 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actor Donald Sutherland is 84.
- Actress-singer Diahann Carroll is 84.
- Actress Lucie Arnaz is 68.
- Actor David Hasselhoff is 67.
- Actress Nancy Giles (“China Beach”) is 59.
- Singer Regina Belle is 56.
- Country singer Craig Morgan is 55.
- Actor Andre Royo (”The Wire”) is 51.
- Actress Bitty Schram (”Monk”) is 51.
- Actor Jason Clarke (”Zero Dark Thirty,” `’Dawn of the Planet of the Apes”) is 50.
- Director F. Gary Gray (”Straight Outta Compton,” `’Furious 8”) is 50.
- Country singer Luke Bryan is 43.
- Actor Eric Winter (”Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay”) is 43.
- Actor Mike Vogel (”Under the Dome,” `’The Help”) is 40.
- Actor Tom Cullen (”Downton Abbey”) is 34.
- Actor Brando Eaton (”Dexter”) is 33.
- Singer Jeremih is 32.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
- Morning Show section -- ClickOnDetroit.com/morning
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.