Message from Nick Monacelli: My kids have officially started their summer vacations from school and couldn’t be happier. Which brings me to my current parenting dilemma: how do I slow down time?
When we were having our first child, every one kept telling me, “Take it all in”, and “Don’t blink”. I wrote them off as the quintessential things people say when you’re having a baby. I was wrong; it was the best advice ever.
My oldest daughter turns 7 this summer, and I watched her in her fourth dance recital last week. Um – excuse me?!? When did she sprout another 7 inches and start looking like a kid instead of my baby girl? I know I still have a lot of years left, but do I? The older I get the more I start measuring time in longer distances. 10 years from now – which isn’t long at all – she’ll be driving and getting ready for college. Ten years!
So – for all you parents out there my question is – how do I slow down time? Obviously not literally, but figuratively. What have you done to maximize time/moments/experiences with your families before time ran out? Drop me a line – email@example.com
Here's what's coming up Monday, June 10th, 2019 on Local 4 News Today.
- Watch beginning at 4:30 a.m.
- Sign up for the Morning Show Insider newsletter here!
All Morning -- Weather & Traffic
Local 4Casters: We've had a rainy start to the day. Cloudy skies, afternoon temperatures will be in the middle 70s.
- You can get the full forecast here.
Also ,Kim DeGiulio mentioned will have up update on construction projects across town.
All Morning -- Dad Doppelganger Contest
Do you look just like your dad? We want to see the pictures for our Dad Doppelgangers contest.
Watch Local 4 News Today all week to see if you’ve won! We'll show some of the awesome entries on Monday.
Here are the prizes:
- Second Prize: Hudsonville: Sweetest Dad Ever: Cooler full of dad's favorite flavors shipped directly to him, with the scoop, hat, swag and a year's supply of ice cream (which would come in the form of coupons to go purchase the ice cream at dad's preferred grocery store).
- First Prize: Sweet Shelving from Shelving Inc. for Dad: $1,500 value prize, including a custom built "bar cart" (could be a tool storage solution or something similar) and a $1,000 gift card to their website for great stuff to organize and maximize space in garages, man caves, offices, etc.
- Enter here
6:10 a.m. -- Michigan Supreme Court Justice One-On-One
Michigan Supreme Court Justice Richard H. Bernstein will stop by the studio to discuss an important event he's helping out with that highlights people who have overcome obstacles. Justice Bernstein is the first blind judge elected to the Michigan Supreme Court.
6:10 a.m. -- Money Monday
Accelerated benefits and long-term care are topics that are important for your financial future. On Monday, Local 4 Business Editor Rod Meloni will explain the best ways to plan.
- Fitness Friday: How to play tennis against yourself
- Paul Gross reflects on cancer milestone: 30 years since the lump
- FCC's new rule allows phone service carriers to block robocalls
- There's a story behind the giant tire in Allen Park
Today's Trivia Retake
Every morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Friday Question: What's the Guinness World Record for the most powdered doughnuts eaten in 3 minutes?
- Answer: 9
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: June 10th
- National Egg Roll Day
- National Ballpoint Pen Day
- National Iced Tea Day
- National Black Cow Day
- National Herbs and Spices Day
A Look Back at History: June 10th
- In 1935, Alcoholics Anonymous was founded in Akron, Ohio, by Dr. Robert Holbrook Smith and William Griffith Wilson.
- In 1942, during World War II, German forces massacred 173 male residents of Lidice, Czechoslovakia, in retaliation for the killing of Nazi official Reinhard Heydrich.
- In 1944, German forces massacred 642 residents of the French village of Oradour-sur-Glane.
- In 1977, James Earl Ray, the convicted assassin of civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr., escaped from Brushy Mountain State Prison in Tennessee with six others; he was recaptured June 13.
- Five years ago: Jury selection began in Sanford, Florida, in the trial of neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, charged with second-degree murder in the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. (Zimmerman was acquitted.)
- One year ago: British Prime Minister Theresa May struck a deal in principle with Northern Ireland’s Democratic Unionist Party to prop up the Conservative government, which had been stripped of its majority in a disastrous election.
Celebrity Birthdays: June 10th
Celebrating a birthday Monday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 5 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Singer Maxi Priest is 58.
- Actress Gina Gershon is 57.
- Actress Jeanne Tripplehorn is 56.
- Actress Kate Flannery (“The Office”) is 55.
- Model-actress Elizabeth Hurley is 54.
- Rapper The D.O.C. is 51.
- Singer Mike Doughty (Soul Coughing) is 49.
- Singer JoJo of K-Ci and JoJo is 48.
- Singer Faith Evans is 46.
- Actor Hugh Dancy is 44.
- Actor DJ Qualls (“Memphis Beat,” ″Hustle and Flow”) is 41.
- Actor Shane West (“ER,” ″Now and Again”) is 41.
- Country singer Lee Brice is 40.
- Actress Leelee Sobieski is 37.
- Actor Tristin Mays (2018′s “MacGyver,” ″The Vampire Diaries”) is 29.
- Actress Eden McCoy (“General Hospital”) is 16.
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
- Morning Show section -- ClickOnDetroit.com/morning
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.