Message from Kim DeGiulio: Hey everyone! Hope you’re all having a great week. My week just got a lot better when I saw that Brandon has removed a lot of the shower chances for the weekend. Memorial Day weekend is my favorite because it’s the unofficial start to summer! My husband and I are already thinking about our weekend plans even though it’s only Wednesday. We’re thinking about going biking down the Dequindre Cut. If you haven’t been on a Dequindre Cut yet, it’s a must when you’re here in the city. I think we’re going to try and go to a new restaurant on Friday too. If you’ve got any good recommendations for us, send me an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, don't forget your red nose (more on that in a bit).
Here's what's coming up Thursday, May 23rd, 2019 on Local 4 News Today:
- Watch beginning at 4:30 a.m.
- Sign up for the Morning Show Insider newsletter here!
All Morning -- Weather & Traffic
Brandon: There's a good chance for a quick rain and thunderstorm Thursday morning and like Wednesday, it will get better after those showers. The timeframe is mid morning through lunch and then partly sunny skies become mostly sunny as highs then take aim at 80°F or warmer. The winds will be cranking again Thursday SSW 10-25 mph helping to boost our warm up. Friday looks like a partly cloudy and dry day with slightly cooler temps in the upper 60s and low 70s and then a chance for rain (Mainly North Zone) Friday Night.
You can get that forecast here.
Kim DeGiulio will be updating you on the latest construction projects, closures, detours and everything in between.
All Morning -- Red Nose Day
If you see people walking with red noses Thursday, they may be getting primed for "Red Nose Day." The effort raises money to help lift children out of poverty around the world. The red nose concept started in the UK where it's generated more than a billion dollars since 1985 in annual telethons. We'll show you how you can help the cause.
5:55 a.m. - Back to Basics: Scallops
Scallops are a crowd favorite at restaurants but a lot of people don't make them at home because they don't know how they should be prepared. Our Kim DeGiulio joins a chef to show us the right way to do it.
Check out Kim's other lessons here --
6:40 a.m. -- Help Me Hank: Beauty Product Warning
An important warning involving beauty products. Dangerous chemicals may be inside some of the products you use and you might not even know it. Consumer investigator Hank Winchester will have everything you need to know.
- Tasty Tuesday: Arkin's Sweet BBQ Pit in Southfield
- Michigan Sports Hall of Fame announces 2019 inductees
- Michigan fireworks laws: What you need to know this Memorial Day weekend
Today's Trivia Retake
Every morning at 6 a.m., we ask you a trivia question on Local 4 for a chance to win a prize.
- Wednesday Question: May 22nd is National Solitaire Day. What was solitaire originally called?
- Answer: Patience
- Be sure to watch daily at 6 a.m. and click this link to enter for a chance to win.
National Days: May 23rd
- Red Nose Day
- National Lucky Penny Day
- National Taffy Day
A Look Back at History: May 23rd
- In 1430, Joan of Arc was captured by the Burgundians, who sold her to the English.
- In 1788, South Carolina became the eighth state to ratify the United States Constitution.
- In 1934, bank robbers Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker were shot to death in a police ambush in Bienville Parish, Louisiana.
- In 1984, Surgeon General C. Everett Koop issued a report saying there was “very solid” evidence linking cigarette smoke to lung disease in non-smokers.
Celebrity Birthdays: May 23rd
Celebrating a birthday Thursday? Submit a Sunshine Award here and we could say your name on Local 4 News Today during our 5 a.m. show.
Here's who you're sharing a birthday with --
- Actress Barbara Barrie is 88
- Actress Joan Collins is 86
- Actor Charles Kimbrough (“Murphy Brown”) is 83
- Comedian Drew Carey is 61
- Actor Linden Ashby (“Melrose Place”) is 59
- Actress Melissa McBride (“The Walking Dead”) is 54
- Singer Lorenzo is 47
- Singer Maxwell is 46
- Singer Jewel is 45
- Comedian Tim Robinson (“Saturday Night Live”) is 38
- Actor Adam Wylie (“Picket Fences”) is 35
- Director Ryan Coogler (“Black Panther”) is 33
Get to know the Local 4 News Today team better
Local 4 News Today links
- Morning Show section -- ClickOnDetroit.com/morning
Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.