Community gathers to discuss ways to prevent racism after multiple incidents at Saline schools
5 community conversations planned
SALINE, Mich. – A community conversation Wednesday in Saline focused on how to stop racism after several incidents.
Racist incidents in the Saline Area Schools district have led to students and parents expressing concerns about division in the community.
The people involved in the conversation want to find a way to prevent students from thinking using racial slurs is OK, and they hope to start a greater discussion about the root causes of racism.
More than 100 people showed up to the meeting, which was the first of five community conversations planned to address recent incidents.
A video showing students speaking out was recently taken at Saline High School.
“People learn to hate and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love,” a student says in the video.
Parents are meeting with city leaders and school board officials to demand action.
“I think the more people that rally around racism and LGBTQ rights, it’s just going to be so beneficial for the community,” said Sheri Weintraub, one of the parents who wants change in the district.
Another parent, Kerstin Woodside, said her daughter has experienced racism in the district.
“Now it’s out in the open. All the families know about it, and we’re all fighting along with the students to make the changes,” she said. “She was attacked and she was targeted ... When you ignore things like this, they build and build and build until something huge happens.”
There are several community events planned aimed at demanding changes.
- Saline students sue school district over discipline for racist Snapchat conversation
- Hundreds gather for diversity, inclusion rally in Saline after recent racist incidents
- Racist insults hurled at parent during Saline schools meeting meant to promote diversity
- Community packs Saline School Board meeting to stand together against racist comments made on social media
- WATCH: Saline football player gives powerful anti-racism statement
- Racist incidents spark diversity rally in downtown Saline
Copyright 2020 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.