DETROIT – The coronavirus outbreak has left many wondering where they will get their next meal.
Three main food delivery ride share companies—Grubhub, UberEats and Doordash—said that due to the coronavirus outbreak they’re going the extra mile to make sure the food delivered through their apps is safe.
Several school districts and organizations are providing free food services for children Monday-Friday as schools remain closed through April 5. Below is our current list of organizations offering such services with detailed times and locations.
This list is updated frequently.
Birmingham Public Schools
According to Birmingham Public Schools, free breakfast and lunch will be offered for free to those 18-years-old and younger starting Monday. There are three locations.
A drive-thru will be available at Groves High School, located at 20500 W. 13 Mile Road in Beverly Hills, from 10 a.m. to noon.
School bus pick-up style will be available from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. at Derby Middle School, located at 1300 Derby Road in Birmingham, and at Huntley Square Apartments, located at 31065 Huntley Square in Beverly Hills.
Waterford Public Schools
The Waterford School District will be offering free meals from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Riverside Elementary, located at 5290 Farm Road; Mason Middle School, located at 3835 Walton Boulevard; and Kurzman Crary Campus, located at 501 Cass Lake Road.
Meals will be provided for those 18-years-old and younger.
Detroit Public Schools Community District
Superintendent Nikolai Vitti announced Friday students will be able to pick up breakfast and/or lunch.
Breakfast pick up will be served from 8 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and lunch will be served from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Learning packets can also be picked up.
A full list of school buildings can be found on the Detroit Public Schools Community District website here.
West Bloomfield Schools
As West Bloomfield Schools launches its Cloud Learning Initiative, March 16, it is also preparing to kick-off the Meal Service program for Cloud Learners. Visit www.wbsd.org/mealservice to find the menu for the week and preorder links for each day, March 16-20.
Preorders must be submitted each day in order to ensure meals will be available for you at your pick up location. The deadline to submit preorders is 3 p.m.
Preorders for tomorrow, March 16 need to be submitted by 3 p.m. Sunday, March 15.
Preorder forms for the week of March 16-20:
The Meal Service is open to any family, regardless of city of residence, and any child from birth to age 18. For more information about the program, visit www.wbsd.org/mealservice.
Harper Woods Schools
The City of Harper Woods Schoool District will provide free breakfast and lunch pick up weekdays only beginning Wednesday, March 18 through April 3. The program will open at 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. at the following locations:
- Beacon Elementary school, 19475 Beaconsfield Harper Woods MI 48225
- Tyrone Elementary school, 19525 Tyrone Harper Woods, MI 48225
- Harper Woods Middle School, 19800 Anita Harper Woods, MI 48225
- Harper Woods High School, 20225 Beaconsfield St, Harper Woods, MI 48225
Please check the City of Harper Woods School District website for additional information.
Center Line Schools
Center Line schools is providing breakfast and lunch each weekday to its students during the mandatory shutdown March 16-April 3. Its food service staff plans to prepare meals that will be delivered by bus to designated bus stops each weekday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. (see schedule). An adult or older sibling may take food for the entire family of enrolled students in the district. School of choice students may go to any of the stops listed to pick up meals for that day.
Contact Theresa Elya (email@example.com, 586-510-2031) in the Food Services department with any questions.
Canton’s High Velocity Sports
High Velocity Sports in Canton (46245 Michigan Avenue) will host a drive through for free lunches beginning March 16 that is available to anyone in need from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday-Friday. The drive through is open to everyone and is not limited to Canton residents.
Cars can pull up to the front door and the sack lunch or lunches will be delivered to the car. Anyone without a vehicle can visit the front office of the building to request a lunch with no questions asked.
Lunches will consist of a peanut butter and jelly (or just jelly) sandwich, a bag of chips, a piece of fruit and a juice box.
Contact 734-487-7678 with any questions.
Utica Community Schools
Beginning March 17 Utica Community Schools will offer free, healthy meals to children and teens 18-years-old and under regardless of where they attend school or if they qualify for free or reduced lunches. Patrons will be provided with two days’ worth of meals during the week, and three days’ worth of meals on Fridays.
The schedule for meal distribution is as follows:
- March 17-March 20: Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday from noon to 1 p.m.
- March 23-April 3: Monday, Wednesday and Friday from noon to 1 p.m.
Children do not have to be present for parents to request meals. Patrons can drive up or walk up to the door at the following distributions sites and collect breakfasts and lunches to take home:
Meals-to-go available at the main entrance of these public schools from noon–1 p.m.:
- Burr Elementary, 41460 Ryan, Sterling Heights
- Dresden Elementary, 11400 Delvin, Sterling Heights
- Harvey Elementary, 41700 Montroy, Sterling Heights
- Plumbrook Elementary, 39660 Spalding, Sterling Heights
- Roberts Elementary, 2400 Belle View, Shelby Township
- Schwarzkoff Elementary, 8401 Constitution, Sterling Heights
- West Utica Elementary, 5415 West Utica Rd., Shelby Township
- Wiley Elementary, 47240 Shelby Rd., Shelby Township
Meals-to-go available at the rear of the building at these public schools from noon–1 p.m.:
- Jeannette Junior High, 40400 Gulliver, Sterling Heights
- Eisenhower High School, 6500 25 Mile Road, Shelby Township
- Stevenson High School, 39701 Dodge Park, Sterling Heights, distribution begins at 11:00 a.m.
Meals-to-go delivered by UCS Food Truck to these locations at these listed times:
- Rudgate Manor Club House, 5150 Rudgate Circle, Sterling Heights, outside of clubhouse from 11 a.m.–11:30 a.m.
- Sterling Estates, 43475 La Grand Blvd, Sterling Heights, outside the clubhouse in picnic area from noon–12:30 p.m.
- Autumn Woods, 44401 Bridal Lane, Sterling Heights, near the main office from 12:40 p.m.–1:10 p.m.
Persons up to 26-years-old who are enrolled in an educational program for the mentally or physically disabled can also participate in this program.
Holly Area Schools
Holly Area Schools will offer free breakfast and lunch for all children 18-years-old and under from March 16-April 3 at Holly Elementary School (801 E. Maple Street). From 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday-Friday patrons can pick up a bag with breakfast and lunch, with weekend meals included in Friday’s bag.
Assorted meal options are available and will include fruit, vegetable and milk. Children do not need to be present for parents to pick up free meals. Children do not need to be enrolled in Holly Area Schools to participate.
Additional community sites are coming soon. For questions, contact Joanne Schebil, Director of Dining at 248-328-3033 or Steve Lanar, Assistant Superintendent at 248-328-3151.
Wyandotte Public Schools
Wyandotte Public Schools will offer a week’s worth of breakfast and lunches to kids and teens 18-years-old and under for free on Wednesdays at Roosevelt High School (540 Eureka Road). Breakfasts and lunches are available for pick up only between 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on March 18, 25 and April 1.
Patrons can pick up meals at the main entrance parking lot of the high school.
Oak Park Schools
Oak Park Schools will have curbside pick-up every weekday starting Tuesday from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Oak park Preparatory Academy, located at 23261 Scotia Road; Oak park Freshman Institute, located at 22180 Parklawn Street; and Oak Park High School, located at 13701 Oak Park Boulevard.
There will also be pick-up at bus stops from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the bus stops located at the intersection of Greenfield and Seven Mile roads, Greenfield and Fenkell roads, Greenfield and Joy roads, Greenfield and Six Mile roads, Greenfield and Schoolcraft roads; and Joy and Southfield roads.
Ann Arbor Public Schools
AAPS has partnered with Chartwells Food Service, Durham Transportation Services and the Ann Arbor Police Department to coordinate the distribution of meals during this time.
Pick up will be available on the following dates from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.:
- Monday, March 16
- Tuesday, March 17 (for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday meals)
- Friday, March 20 (for Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday meals)
- Tuesday, March 24 (for Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday meals)
- Friday, March 27 (for Friday, Saturday, Sunday meals)
- Tuesday, March 31 (for Tuesday and Wednesday meals)
- Thursday, April 2 (for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday meals)
Meals can be picked up at the following locations:
- Peace Neighborhood Center - Peace Maple Meadows Satellite- West Ann Arbor Satellite - 1111 N. Maple Road
- The Pinelake Village Coop - outside the clubhouse - 2680 Adrienne Dr.
- Lakestone Apartments - outside the clubhouse - 4275 Eyrie Dr.
- Scio Farms - outside the clubhouse - 6655 Jackson Road
- Orchard Grove - outside the clubhouse - 2835 S. Wagner
- Carpenter Elementary - Outside the school 4250 Central Blvd.
- Scarlett Middle School - Outside the school 3300 Lorraine
Community Action Network (CAN) sites:
- Arrowwood Hills Community Center - 2566 Arrowwood Trail
- Bryant Community Center - 3 W. Eden CT.
- Green Baxter Court Community Center - 1737 Green Rd.
- Hikone Community Center - 2724 Hikone Dr.
More information on Ann Arbor Public Schools’ plan can be found here.
Lapeer Community Schools
Lapeer Community Schools will feature drive-thru style pick-up on weekdays at the Center for Innovation Building, located at 170 Millville Road from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Children do not need to be present for a parent to pick up their meals and do not need to be enrolled in Lapeer Community Schools.
Hazel Park Schools
Hazel Park Schools will be giving out food for seven days a week from Monday to Friday. Food can be picked up from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
On Fridays, the person picking up the meals has the option of picking up three more meals to accommodate Saturday and Sunday meals.
Pick up is available at Hazel Park High School, located at 23400 Hughes Avenue; United Oaks Elementary School, located at 1001 Harry Avenue; and Webb Elementary School, located at 2100 Woodward Heights in Ferndale.
Bloomfield Hills Schools
Bloomfield Hills Schools will begin food distribution Tuesday, March 17 in partnership with Aramark. Children do not have to be enrolled in Bloomfield Hills Schools and they encourage all community children to take advantage of the program. Kids must be under the age of 18 and under 26 for adults with disabilities.
Children don’t have to be present for food pickup. Meals will be distributed for breakfast and lunch and families can take two days of meals at a time. If picking up on a Friday, families can take food for Friday and the full weekend.
Adult meals will be offered for $4 a meal.
Locations for pick up between 10 a.m. and noon:
- Main Entrance of Bloomfield Hills High School - 4200 Andover Rd.
- Main Entrance of East Hills Middle School - 2800 Kensington Rd.
Warren Woods Public Schools
Warren Woods Public Schools will provide meals for all children aged 18 and under in Warren, regardless if they are Warren Woods students.
Bagged breakfasts and lunches will be available for drive through pick up every weekday at the following locations beginning Wednesday:
- Pinewood Elementary (14411 Bade Dr, Warren, MI 48088) 11:00AM – 12:00PM Door #1
- Warren Woods Middle School (13400 East 12 Mile, Warren, MI 48088) 12:00PM – 1:00PM Door #29
- Westwood Elementary (11999 Martin Rd, Warren, MI 48093) 11:00AM – 12:00PM Door #1
The schedule might change as the programs goes on. Further details can be found on the Warren Woods Public Schools website here.
Avondale School District
Avondale School District will provide breakfast and lunch to all children 18-years-old and younger at its Auburn, Deerfield, Graham and Woodland Elementary Schools; and Avondale Middle School.
Meals will be provided drive-thru service where the recipient will not have to exit their vehicle.
Schools will be open for food service Tuesday from 9 a.m. until 11 a.m. and then from noon to 1 p.m.
Avondale Schools will be providing enough meals to last the recipient to Friday. Food service will start again on Friday with enough food to get children through the weekend.
Garden City Public Schools
All children 18-years-old and younger can receive breakfast and lunch from Garden City Public Schools.
Meals can be picked up at Garden City High School, located at 6500 Middlebelt Road and its Farmington 5-6 campus located at 33411 Marquette Road.
Meals can be picked up in the bus loop at either school Monday-Friday between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m.
Taylor School District
Taylor School District is offering free breakfast and lunch to kids and teens under 18-years-old on March 16 and March 20.
From 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. students or parents can pick up meals at the main entrance doors of the following schools:
- Eureka Heights Elementary (25125 Eureka Road)
- Holland Elementary (10201 Holland Road)
- Hoover Middle (27101 Beverly Road)
- McDowell Elementary (22929 Brest)
- Moody Elementary (8280 Hipp Street)
- Myers Elementary (23033 Northline Road)
- Randall Elementary (8699 Robert Street)
- Taylor Parks Elementary (20614 Pinecrest Street)
- West Middle (10575 William Street)
Students or parents only need to visit one location to pick up meals if children are enrolled at multiple schools.
New Paradigm For Education
Beginning on Wednesday, New Paradigm For Education will be offering food for pickup at all NPFE schools for any children in the community 18 years old and younger.
Breakfast and lunch pickup hours run from 8 a.m. - 1 p.m.
- Detroit Edison Public School Academy (1903 Wilkins)
- New Paradigm College Prep (4001 29th Street)
- New Paradigm Glazer Academy (2001 LaBelle Street)
- New Paradigm Loving Academy (100 Lynn Street)
- University Yes Academy (14669 Curtis Street)
Troy School District
Grab and go breakfasts and sack lunches will be provided to anyone younger than 18 every weekday from 9-10 a.m. through April 1.
Students do not have to be present and parents/guardians can go to any location listed. Children do not have to be students in the district.
School pickup locations:
- Athens High School
- Troy High School
- Troy Career and College HS
- Baker Middle School
- Smith Middle School
- Morse Elementary School
- Troy Union Elementary
Community pickup locations:
- Charter Square Apartments (Leasing Center)
- Rochester Villas (Leasing Center)
- Somerset Apartments (Activity Center)
- The Gables of Troy (Leasing Center)
- Troy Villas (Corner of Sylvia Dr. and Shelley Dr.)
Blake’s Farm and Cider Mill
Blake’s Farm and Cider Mill are offering a free hot dog, bag of chips and a drink to children 18-years-old and under from March 19 through March 22 while supplies last.
The meals will be available as carry out, drive through or curbside pickup from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Cider Mill (17985 Armada Center Road). Limit one meal per child.
Dearborn Heights District #7
The Dearborn Heights School District is offering free breakfast to children 18-years-old and younger beginning March 17 through April 5.
Children can pick up two days’ worth of meals, three days’ worth on Fridays, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the following locations:
- Annapolis High School (4650 Clippert Street)
- Bedford Elementary School (4650 Croissant Street)
- Pardee Elementary School (4650 Pardee Avenue)
Parents can pick up meals on their children’s behalf. For questions, contact Christopher Simmons at 313-203-3197.
Beginning March 20 through April 6, Burger King is offering two free kids meals with any purchase at participating U.S. locations.
Guests can redeem this coupon offer once per day using the BK app, takeout or drive-thru services. The restaurants are also offering free delivery on the BK app for orders of $10 or more.
Chippewa Valley Schools
Chippewa Valley Schools are offering free breakfast and lunch packages to their students from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. on March 19-20, March 23-27 and March 30-April 3.
Meals can be picked up at the following locations:
- Ojibwa Elementary (46950 Heydenreich Road)
- Fox Elementary (17500 Millstone Drive)
- Algonquin Middle School (19150 Briarwood Lane)
- Wyandot Middle School (39490 Garfield Road)
Romeo Community Schools
Romeo Community Schools is offering free breakfast and lunch for all children 18 and under, regardless of what school they attend.
Meal packages will have two or three days worth of supplies.
Drive-thru service is available Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 4-6 p.m. at the following locations:
- Romeo High School, main entrance loop
- Amanda Moore Elementary, parking lot
Mobile walk-up delivery is available Monday, Wednesday and Friday at the following locations:
- Apple Valley Apartments’ rental office parking lot, located at 231 Apple Blossom Way, from 11-11:30 a.m.
- East Village Estates’ community center parking lot, located at 57400 Bedford Boulevard, from 10-10:45 a.m.
- Hidden Lakes Estates’ main office parking lot, located at 505 Rochester Road, from 10-10:30 a.m.
- Spring Brook Estates’ main office parking lot, located at 8155 Stoney Drive, from 10:45-11:15 a.m.
- Washington Mobile Home Park’s main entrance parking lot, located at 60630 Van Dyke, from 10-10:30 a.m.
Global Education Excellence
Global Educational Excellence is distributing school meals for its students in Southeast Michigan.
Students and their families will be receiving halal meals that are available for pick up between 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at the following locations:
- Bridge Academy East, 9600 Buffalo Street, Hamtramck.
- Bridge Academy West, 3105 Carpenter Road, Detroit.
- Muath Center, 6096 Dorothy Street, Detroit.
- Center of Hamtramck, 11347 Joseph Campau Avenue, Hamtramck.
- The corner of Gallagher Avenue and Lehman Street, Hamtramck.
- Former GEE White Academy, 5161 Charles Street, Detroit.
- Frontier International Academy Warren, 28111 Imperial Drive, Warren.
- Al-Haramain Grocery Store, 9027 Joseph Campau, Hamtramck.
- Riverside Academy East, 7124 Miller Road, Dearborn.
- Riverside Academy West, 6409 Schaefer Road, Dearborn.
- Dix Center, 9945 Vernor Highway, Dearborn.
- Global Heights Academy, 2713 Joy Road, Dearborn Heights.
- Global Tech Academy, 1715 E. Forest Avenue, Ypsilanti.
- Forest Knoll, 693 Arbor Drive, Ypsilanti.
- MIA School Ann Arbor, 2301 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor.
- University Townhouses, 3200 Braeburn Circle, Ann Arbor.
- Parkway Meadows, 2575 Sandalwood Circle, Ann Arbor.
- Ibrahim Center, 315 S. Ford Boulevard, Ypsilanti.
- Bilal Center, 4891 W. Michigan Avenue, Ypsilanti.
More information on GEE’s coronavirus precautions can be read here.
Anchor Bay Schools
Anchor Bay Schools are providing two days worth of breakfast and lunch at pick up locations on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from noon to 1 p.m. at the following locations:
- Anchor Bay High School
- Anchor Bay Middle School North
- Anchor Bay Middle School South
- Ashley Elementary
- Naldrett Elementary
- Great Oaks Elementary
- Lighthouse Elementary
- Lottie Schmidt Elementary
- Maconce Elementary
- Sugarbush Elementary
A bus will also be at the bus stop within The Shores of Anchor Bay, Americana and Millstone Pond.
City of Detroit - Parks and Recreation Division
The city of Detroit’s Parks and Recreation Division is providing free breakfast and lunch to children from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Monday - Friday. Additional meals can be requested on Fridays to last through the weekend. Parents and children can pick up meals at the following locations:
- Adams Butzel Recreation Center, 10500 Lyndon
- Farwell Recreation Center, 2711 E. Outer Drive
- Kemeny Recreation Center, 2260 S. Fort Street
- Patton Recreation Center, 2301 Woodmere starting March 30
Meals pick up will be provided at the following City recreation centers on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
- Crowell Recreation Center, 16630 Lahser
- Lasky Recreation Center, 13200 Fenelon
Gleaners & City of Detroit
Gleaners Community Food Bank is partnering with the city of Detroit to provide locations for families with children to receive groceries. Families can pick up groceries at the following locations and associated dates, times:
- Roberto Clemente Recreation Center (2631 BagleyStreet)
- 2:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. every other Wednesday starting March 25
- Heilmann Recreation Center (19601 Crusade Street)
- 2:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. every other Thursday starting March 26
- Coleman A. Young Recreation Center (2751 Robert Bradby Drive)
- 1:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. every other Saturday starting March 29
- Butzel Family Center, 7737 Kercheval
- 9:00 am – 12:00 PM, Every other Monday starting March 30
Troy School District
Troy School District is passing out bags of groceries to families in need from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. every Friday night. Families in the school district and local community are welcome to drive through or pick up the groceries at Morse Elementary School (475 Cherry Drive).
Hope of Detroit Academy
Hope of Detroit Academy is providing meals for families at their middle/high school location. Individuals can pick up grab-and-go meals at the following locations and times:
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Wednesday, April 8
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Tuesday, April 14 and all subsequent Tuesdays
Individuals in need of food don’t have to be enrolled at Hope of Detroit Academy to receive meals.