Votes are still being counted for many races in Michigan’s Primary Election yesterday, and we’re tracking results online here. Due to an increase in mail-in voting this year, results are expected to be reported slower than in previous years.
The three casinos in Detroit are allowed to reopen today after shutting their doors at the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic struck in March. Under new executive orders, Michigan casinos reopening are required to ban smoking and limit their capacities to 15 percent.
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer will today hold her first COVID-19 response news conference since July 28.
On Tuesday, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer signed an executive order to “direct state departments and autonomous agency heads to review allocation of their resources to ensure that enforcement of COVID-19-related laws is a priority,” reads a statement from her office. That includes enforcing limitations on capacity and the requirement to wear a mask when entering a Michigan business.
Tuesday marked a historic primary election in Michigan with a record number of absentee ballots cast.
Officials said more than 2 million absentee ballots were requested and more than 1.6 million were returned this year -- breaking the 2016 presidential election record by 300,000.
A massive explosion in the Lebanese capital on Tuesday has killed at least 100 people and left at least 4,000 injured. It was so powerful, it struck with the force of at 3.5 magnitude earthquake with the detonation heard 200 miles away and in at least two other countries.
Election Day has turned into Election Week in Michigan due to the surge in mail-in voting. While a handful of key races were actually called on Election Night on Tuesday, many races remain in limbo while clerks sort out the remainder of ballots -- but don’t worry, we’re keeping track of the results in real time.
You’ve seen random things pop up on radar over the years, including fish-flies, which take over Metro Detroit in June. Now, the radar has gone to the birds.
Local 4′s Paul Gross noticed these things called “Roost Rings” on radar, popping up over Southern Ontario and Monroe County.
The number of confirmed cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) in Michigan has risen to 84,050 as of Tuesday, including 6,219 deaths, state officials report.
Tuesday’s update represents an increase of 664 new cases and *seven additional deaths, including five identified during a Vital Records review. Monday’s update brought the state totals to 83,386 overall cases and 6,212 deaths.
*Note: The state originally reported eight additional deaths on Tuesday, then changed it to seven.
New cases have increased moderately in recent weeks, while deaths remain flat in Michigan. Testing has remained steady, with an average of more than 25,000 per day, with the positive rate between 3 and 4 percent. Hospitalizations have increased slightly, but remain considerably lower than in April.
Michigan has reported 60,022 recoveries. The state also reports “active cases,” which were listed at 17,200 as of Monday. Michigan’s 7-day moving average for daily cases was 697 on Monday -- which has not been seen since early May.
- Previously healthy Clinton Township woman battles severe COVID-19 symptoms for 131 days
- Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer defends veto of nursing home bill
Here’s a look at more of the data:
- Track the live Michigan Weather Radar here
- Track severe weather alerts here
- Submit storm photos here
- Find more weather forecast articles at Weather Center
- Vehicle crashes near DTE power plant in Monroe, found submerged in reservoir
- Oakland County deputies search for endangered missing Rochester Hills teen
- Detroit public schools police officer hospitalized after being pinned by car
- Walled Lake Consolidated Schools District to begin 2020-21 school year with remote learning only
- Meijer wins Republican primary in retiring Amash’s district
- Fireworks, ammonium nitrate likely fueled Beirut explosion
- Technical issue has California under-reporting virus cases
- Images of student crowds raise questions in Georgia schools
- Virus keeps tourists from Africa’s great wildlife migration
- Japan’s Honda reports loss in April-June as virus hits sales
Sports Headlines ⚾🏒🏀🏈⚽
- Michigan State football 2020 schedule: Trips to Maryland, Penn State, Michigan
- Michigan football announces 10-game schedule for 2020 season
- Woods in a better place heading into this PGA Championship
- Detroit Lions say QB Matthew Stafford had false-positive COVID-19 test; returns to active roster