As Michigan schools debate whether to resume in-person learning this fall or remain entirely online, a new report found the number of children getting infected with the coronavirus (COVID-19) is growing.
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, more than 97,000 children in the United States tested positive for the virus between July 16 and July 30.
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer will be among the list of speakers Monday at the Democratic National Convention (DNC) in Milwaukee, according to reports. With her scheduled to speak Monday, it’s less likely Whitmer will be picked for Joe Biden’s running mate.
Tonight is the peak of the year’s most popular meteor shower.
A report said 12 of the Big Ten’s 14 members voted against playing college football this fall amid the coronavirus pandemic, with Nebraska and Iowa the lone votes to play.
That would mean Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Penn State all voted against playing -- a bit of a surprise considering the role football plays at those four schools.
Early Tuesday morning, the South Lyon Community Schools’ board voted in favor of starting the school year virtually amid the coronavirus pandemic -- a plan that many parents don’t agree with. Before the vote, parents gathered in protest to demand an in-person learning option this fall.
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer says she vetoed Senate Bill 899 on Monday to ensure that patients receive appropriate care during emergencies and disasters.
U.S. health officials are warning consumers to throw away onions linked to a Salmonella outbreak reported in more than 40 states. The FDA reported 640 total cases of Salmonella Newport infections nationwide, with 36 in Michigan, as of Aug. 6. A total of 85 have resulted in hospitalizations.
A dog treading water nearly four miles offshore in Lake Michigan has been rescued by a family out on a boating trip. The family was boating from Grand Haven to Frankfort in northwestern Michigan on Friday when Jeannie Wilcox said she saw a “red animal in the lake” and started screaming, ‘dog in the water!’”
Doctors around the world are reporting an increase in cases of stress-related hair loss, showing just how deeply the coronavirus pandemic is affecting people emotionally.
The number of confirmed cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) in Michigan has risen to 87,960 as of Monday, including 6,257 deaths, state officials report.
Monday’s update represents 557 new cases and eight additional deaths. Sunday’s totals were 87,403 confirmed cases and 6,249 deaths.
New cases have plateaued in the last two weeks, while deaths remain flat in Michigan. Testing has remained steady, with an average of more than 25,000 per day, with the positive rate between 3 and 4 percent. Hospitalizations have increased slightly, but remain considerably lower than in April.
- Gov. Whitmer signs order requiring children, workers to wear masks at Michigan childcare centers, camps
- ‘We are seeing a plateau of cases’: Michigan COVID-19 numbers decreasing in 7 of 8 regions
Here’s a look at more of the data:
- Track the live Michigan Weather Radar here
- Track severe weather alerts here
- Submit storm photos here
- Find more weather forecast articles at Weather Center
- Well-known Detroit funeral home owner fatally shoots cousin during argument, sources say
- 2000 Division in Detroit’s Eastern Market to be renovated, used as modern office space
- Dearborn Public Schools to offer online-only learning option this fall
- A look at University of Detroit Mercy’s campus safety measures amid pandemic
- Family frustrated with drivers hitting property on Detroit’s west side
- Utica Community Schools offers virtual academy, remote learning to begin school year
- Shooting near White House interrupts Trump’s briefing on TV
- Activist’s arrest in Portland galvanizes Black Lives Matter
- Inaction by Congress leaves states to pay for election costs
- Virus surge makes US weak link in global economic recovery
- Coronavirus breaks out again in New Zealand after 102 days
- Russia’s approval of virus vaccine greeted with some alarm
Sports Headlines ⚾🏒🏀🏈⚽
- Jim Harbaugh believes Michigan should be able to play football this fall: ‘We will not cower from it’
- Detroit Tigers setup man Buck Farmer placed on 10-day injured list with left groin strain
- It’s official: NBA will have a play-in series in the West
- Trump, coaches push for college football as cracks emerge
- Familiarity breeds respect among NHL East playoff teams
- Hockey makes progress in midst of awakening about racism