Families search for answers after Detroit serial killer hangs himself

Ali Terrell Fletcher confessed to killing 3 Detroit men; families left without answers after his suicide

By Roger Weber - Reporter

DETROIT - Even after a man was identified as the suspect in a string of murders across Detroit, his victims' families say they never got answers or justice.

In a jail in Morrow Georgia, Ali Terrell Fletcher told his chilling tale. In separate incidents without motive or provocation, he confessed to murdering three Detroit men.

"Not one person can say one something bad about my brother, nobody," said Lanesha Bryant the sister of one of Fletcher's victims. Bryant's brother Waymon, a husband and father of four, was killed in June 2012. He was taking tools to his construction jobs when he was shot.

Waymon then crashed his SUV into a tree in Rosedale Park before he died. Bryant arrived on scene minutes later and an officer told her, her brother was gone.

~Waymon Bryant~

Two months later, Fletcher was arrested in Georgia for battery and armed robbery and other charges. He admitted to killing Bryant's brother but gave no reason.

He also confessed to the August 4th murder of Jerry Sear, who was a grand master in the Masons. Fletcher told police he shot Sears because he thought the Masons were after him. He didn't know Sears nor did he know Christopher Chatman, his third victim.

Bryant closely followed the Georgia case, hoping eventually to see Fletcher back in a Detroit courtroom. This month a Georgia prosecutor revealed a shocking development to her. Ali Fletcher hanged himself on March 26th.

"And she like, I am sorry to tell you that he killed himself, and I just started screaming," said Bryant. Relatives of the other victims will never be able to face him in court.

"I can't look this man in his face and tell him my brother was humble. Whatever you needed he would have gave it to you," said Bryant.

~Waymon's sister Lanesha Bryant ~

It was Bryant's second bitter disappointment after her brother's murder. Police returned a few of Waymon's belongings.

But, the family also wanted his damaged truck and the expensive power tools Waymon carried that day. The release document for the items had been signed by police, they were not there when Bryant went to pick them up.

"They said that it had been auctioned off, and I said what you mean auctioned off," said Bryant. The Board of Police Commissioners investigated her complaint and determined the property was sold after a clerical error. Bryant won't get her brothers belongings, and won't get her day in court.

"My brother was humble. He was the compromiser out of my mother's four children. He never got angry, always a smile on his face." said Bryant through tears.

Copyright 2013 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.