Man dies after falling into tank of sulfuric acid in South Lyon

A man who fell into a tank of sulfuric acid in South Lyon has died.

Police said a man was rushed to University of Michigan Hospital on Saturday afternoon after falling into a tank of sulfuric acid at Michigan Seamless Tube on McMann Street near 10 Mile Road.

Police said the sulfuric acid was at a temperature of at least 160 degrees.

It is unknown how he fell in or how long the man was in the tank before he was pulled out by a co-worker. 

The investigation is ongoing. The man has not yet been identified. 

Here is a statement from Michigan Seamless Tube:

"A valued Michigan Seamless Tube employee was involved in a serious industrial accident on Saturday afternoon. The employee was taken to the University of Michigan Hospital at Ann Arbor. He did not survive his injuries and passed way at the hospital. The employee was 54 years of age. The company is conducting a comprehensive investigation of the accident and is cooperating with the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration."

Copyright 2019 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.