Man dies in Highland Park after walking out of Wendy's bathroom 'engulfed in flames'

Officials say man walked out of bathroom 'fully engulfed in flames'

HIGHLAND PARK, Mich. - A man died Friday after walking out of a Wendy's restaurant bathroom on fire, the Highland Park Fire Department chief said.

According to the chief, the man walked into the restaurant on Woodward Avenue, went into the bathroom and emerged "fully engulfed in flames and yelling for someone to help him."

Workers tried to help him and called 911, but he died a short time later.

Investigators are trying to find out if the fire was accidental or if someone purposely set the man on fire.

Sign up for ClickOnDetroit breaking news alerts and email newsletters

Copyright 2017 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit - All rights reserved.