Manhole catches fire on Woodward Avenue near Fox Theater

DTE Energy: Underground equipment caused fire, heavy smoke

By Priya Mann - Reporter

DETROIT - DTE Energy said underground equipment failure is what caused a manhole to catch fire and produce heavy smoke on Woodward Avenue near the Fox Theater.

It happened around 7:30 p.m. Saturday between Montcalm and West Columbia streets in downtown Detroit.

DTE said they were taking steps to make repairs. A couple of businesses lost power briefly until their generators kicked in.

Detroit police said there were no reports of injuries as a result of the underground fire.

Police blocked off Woodward Avenue between Adams Avenue and Interstate 75.

Copyright 2015 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.