DETROIT – The number of confirmed cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) in Michigan has risen to 103,186 as of Tuesday, including 6,495 deaths, state officials report.
Tuesday’s update represents 718 new cases and 15 additional deaths, including eight as a result of Vital Records review. On Monday, the state totals were 102,468 cases and 6,480 deaths.
New cases have slightly increased in the last week, while deaths remain flat in Michigan. Testing has remained steady, with an average of more than 25,000 per day, with the positive rate between 3 and 4 percent. The state reported its highest one-day testing total with more than 41,000 diagnostic tests on Aug. 21.
Hospitalizations have increased slightly over the last month but remain lower than in April.
Michigan has reported 76,151 recoveries. The state also reports “active cases,” which were listed at 20,000 on Monday. Michigan’s 7-day moving average for daily cases was 690 on Monday. The state’s fatality rate is 6.3 percent.
Michigan health officials announced on Tuesday that the state would no longer be reporting COVID-19 data on Sundays, starting this weekend.
Beginning Sunday, Sept. 6, data on cases, deaths and testing will be reported Monday – Saturday. If you follow the COVID-19 data closely, you have probably seen lower cases reported on Sunday -- and at times, on Monday -- due to a lower volume of tests being reported from labs on weekends.
MDHHS says it focuses its review of trends on the number of reports for each date that individuals experienced the onset of symptoms and not the daily reported cases which represent the day test results were received.
Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer is expected to announce a plan to reopen gyms and movie theaters that have been closed since the start of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, Local 4 has learned.
COVID-19 numbers have hit a plateau in Michigan over the past few weeks, and so far, no outbreaks have been traced back to gyms in Northern Michigan, where they’ve been open since July. Gym owners say they believe Whitmer is going to talk this week about allowing them to reopen.
Gym owners expect Whitmer to hold a news conference by Wednesday. Most already have all their protocols in place. Ohio has had its gyms open since the end of May.
The photo shows students wearing masks, but nearly nonexistent social distancing at Lutheran North High School. The private Macomb school only offered in-person learning for the 2020-21 school year.
- University of Michigan to carry out phase 3 of COVID-19 vaccine trial
- Fact-check: CDC has not reduced the death count related to COVID-19
- USDA extends free meals for children amid coronavirus pandemic
- Feds ask Gov. Whitmer for Michigan nursing home data to see if COVID-19 response warrants investigation
- Michigan’s economy might not have bounced back as much as Gov. Whitmer claims
- Michigan health officials report 14 coronavirus outbreaks at schools
- Michigan ice arenas push to reopen amid coronavirus pandemic
Michigan COVID-19 daily reported cases since Aug. 15:
- Aug. 15 -- 1,015 new cases
- Aug. 16 -- 565 new cases
- Aug. 17 -- 465 new cases
- Aug. 18 -- 477 new cases
- Aug. 19 -- 616 new cases
- Aug. 20 -- 419 new cases
- Aug. 21 -- 374 new cases
- Aug. 22 -- 953 new cases (higher number due to backlog)
- Aug. 23 -- 768 (higher number due to backlog)
- Aug. 24 -- 868 new cases
- Aug. 25 -- 779 new cases
- Aug. 26 -- 761 new cases
- Aug. 27 -- 758 new cases
- Aug. 28 -- 741 new cases
- Aug. 29 -- 799 new cases
- Aug. 30 -- 539 new cases
- Aug. 31 -- 451 new cases
- Sept. 1 -- 718 new cases
Michigan COVID-19 daily reported deaths since Aug. 15:
- Aug. 15 -- 18 new deaths
- Aug. 16 -- 6 new deaths
- Aug. 17 -- 1 new death
- Aug. 18 -- 15 new deaths (7 from vital records)
- Aug. 19 -- 9 new deaths
- Aug. 20 -- 19 new deaths
- Aug. 21 -- 10 new deaths
- Aug. 22 -- 11 new deaths
- Aug. 23 -- 4 new deaths
- Aug. 24 -- 4 new deaths
- Aug. 25 -- 20 new deaths (6 from vital records)
- Aug. 26 -- 7 new deaths
- Aug. 27 -- 16 new deaths (15 from vital records)
- Aug. 28 -- 6 new deaths
- Aug. 29 -- 21 new deaths (7 from vital records)
- Aug. 30 -- 6 new deaths
- Aug. 31 -- 7 new deaths
- Sept. 1 -- 15 new deaths (8 from vital records)
- View more: Michigan COVID-19 data 📊📈
- Coronavirus news
- Question about coronavirus? Ask Dr. McGeorge here.
- More: Reopening Michigan updates
- More: Return to School updates
Here is the moving 7-day average of COVID-19 cases in Michigan:
🌟 Become an Insider 🌟
Introducing WDIV Insider: A new way for loyal Local 4 fans to gain access and customize your ClickOnDetroit news experience. This new and free membership is our way of saying thank you — and your way of getting in on the news action. WDIV Insiders will gain exclusive access to the Local 4 team and station, including personalized messages, offers and deals to big events, and an elevated voice in our news coverage. Learn more about WDIV Insider - and sign up here!