Tyress Matthews given 2 life sentences for conviction of killing Taylor officer

Taylor Cpt. Matthew Edwards killed last July in shootout

DETROIT - A man convicted of murder in the death of Taylor Police Cpl. Matthew Edwards will spend the rest of his life in prison.

Tyress Matthews was sentenced Monday to two life sentences. He's accused of shooting Edwards during a confrontation at the Coppertree Apartments on July 23, 2010. Edwards and his partner were responding to a breaking and entering 911 call.

At Monday's sentencing, Matthews said, "I walked away from one incident and was put in another one. But I still tried to walk away."

Edwards' father, David Edwards, said he was satisfied with the guilty verdict.

"My sincere prayer is that Tyress Matthews will cry out to God for forgiveness, so that even though he will be facing justice in this life for his earthly actions, that he will find mercy and pardon, in the life to come," David Edwards said.

Several Taylor police officers had been in the courtroom through the duration of the trial to lend their support to Edwards' family.

The wife of the slain officer, Shannon Edwards, spoke in court in support of the decision, "...Knowing Mr. Matthews, he will receive his due punishment... By spending the rest of his life in prison and never being able to come home to his family.  Which is okay with me, because my husband never got to finish his shift."

Mathews has an extensive criminal record, which includes convictions of fleeing and eluding, armed robbery and assault with intent to murder.

Matthews before leaving court flipped an obscene gesture and said he plans to appeal the decision.

Edwards had been with the Taylor Police Department since 2005 and was named Officer of the Year in 2008 by the Police Officers Association of Michigan for his professionalism in a life-and-death situation.

Copyright 2011 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.