DETROIT - Wayne County Prosecutor Kym L. Worthy sent out a doozy of a statement on Friday announcing county budget cuts are forcing her to lay off 23 attorneys, three investigators and one clerical staff.
As a result, Worthy says public safety in Wayne County is endangered.
The following items are among those on the chopping block:
-- Courtrooms in the 36th District Court will not be fully covered
-- There will be no coverage for the domestic violence docket
-- There will no coverage for the traffic court docket
Worthy declined an on-camera interview Friday night. Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano, who is out of the state, doesn't appreciate her drama.
"It is unfortunate that she is using scare tactics as a cover for her deficit spending and her lack of response to the proposal," Ficano said.
What's Ficano talking about? Worthy was put on notice last year that she, along with every other county department, needed to cut 20 percent across the board. Not only has she sued to prevent it, she has refused to implement it.
For the first quarter of the fiscal year, Worthy is $4 million over budget.
Ficano's office says they have been negotiating in good faith with Worthy to try to give her an increase. It's a proposal the executive's office says has been on Worthy's desk since Tuesday.
Copyright 2013 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.